• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

On the value of Realism...

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
More or less how I view realism in my fantasy games, too.

If I see one more thread mention D&D genetics, I'm going to kill some kittens.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Realism is a stupid concept for Roleplaying games. If I want realism, I'll go to work.

Verisimilitude, on the other hand is critical. Without it, your players won't know what to expect.

--G

shilsen

Adventurer
Goobermunch said:
Realism is a stupid concept for Roleplaying games. If I want realism, I'll go to work.

Verisimilitude, on the other hand is critical. Without it, your players won't know what to expect.

--G

Good distinction. I always try to make it clear to my players early on that expecting (and esp. arguing about) the former is a waste of time in the D&D game system. But the latter is something I always strive for.

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
Hear, hear.

One of my usual preambles to any game is as follows:

"Don't assume that any science developed after around the year 1200 on Earth is valid, even down to basic physics. My world is a magical world, and as such, things don't work the way they do on earth. On the other hand, everyday actions work just like they do on Earth. I'll let you know if you're entering a situation where Earthly preconceptions can get you into trouble."

Arnwyn

First Post
Goobermunch said:

Very, very well said.

Exactly the way I feel.

Remove ads