• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Once Upon A Time in Mexico

Technik4

First Post
Saw it tonight, noticed no thread here about, hence run thread.exe.

I liked it. If you enjoy R. Rogdriguez-style action (lots of shotting and cutting away to people getting shot) it is awesome. If you like interesting characters criss-crossing over each other's plots its fantastic. And if you like Johnny Depp playing a smartass with the skills to back it up, go see it.

Considering it is the final part of the "trilogy" of El Mariachi and Desperado it is only fair to bring them up. Those 2 movies were relatively simple affairs, you have the hero, the bad guys, and lots and lots of action. Honestly, I expected more of the same, but I was surprised by OUaTiM - its intricate (I would say complicated, but the person I saw it with got into a huge argument over the semantics and we agreed it was intricate and not necessarily complex or complicated).

There is a veritable host of characters to keep track of - 3-5 "Good Guys" and 4-6 "Bad Guys" with some overlap. This results in a couple not getting enough screen time (Willem Dafoe) and the story is muddled. Fortunately it is recapped at least twice during the film, which makes things significantly clearer but obviously is a crude way of doing it.

I think it tried to be a little too epic which may be out of Mr. Rodriguez's scope. The action is great (though a little slow to start) and there are some classic gags which may remind you of the other 2 movies or From Dusk till Dawn and its own brand.

Some of the camera shots seemed "bad" to me, keeping in mind I know nothing of film-making. I just know that a bad picture is one where the top of the subject's head is cut-off, and there is a scene where that is essentially the case (problem?). Also some of the far-away shots (like looking at a building from the outside) are jerky and cut-away really quickly.

But this is all just niggling. If the movie seems too long at times, or the action too sparse, it makes up for it by the end. Depp keeps things interesting, making nearly every scene he's in better than the ones without. I got my $5.25 worth and then some - but hey, I love seeing action on the big screen (I can wait for comedies and the rest for DVD).

Technik

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I loved it.

I'm wondering though if it's really a third El Mariachi
movie or merely a movie the El Mariachi's in. He's not
more than a plot device really. I'm not complaining or
anything, mind you.

My only complaint is what they did to Selma Hayek.

ForceUser

Explorer
Hand of Evil said:
So is it a take off of the great Once upon a Time in the West, which was an eye opera (lots of shoots of the actors eyes)?
Actually, the name is homage to the Serigo Leone films Once Upon a Time in the West and Once Upon a Time in America.

Thumbs up for Once Upon a Time in Mexico. It's campy, but it's good campy.

Villano

First Post
Viking Bastard said:
I'm wondering though if it's really a third El Mariachi movie or merely a movie the El Mariachi's in. He's not
more than a plot device really. I'm not complaining or
anything, mind you.

The commercials certainly make it look more like a Johnny Depp film than anything. You don't even know Bandaras is in it until 2 seconds before the commercial ends. Up unti then, it's kind of hard to tell what the movie is even about.

I'm going to let it pass until video.

Besides that, I really don't like Johnny Depp anymore. He's good in stuff like Sleepy Hollow and Ed Wood, but when he's playing characters like the one he apparently is (from the clips I've seen), he's just irritating to me.

Actually, I find him irritating in real life, too. The things he says and does rub me the wrong way.

Sakzilla

Explorer
Depp was okay, though his part was put together in shabby fashion.

This movie was Magnolia bad. A Thin Red Line bad. It seemed much longer than it was, though the scarring will last for weeks...

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Just got back from it and have to say I liked it, it had some parts that were so-so but when it was all over I thought a enjoyable action movie.

buzzard

First Post
The movie amounted to chaotic stupid.
It was a rather odd spectacle. It was Hollywood production quality, but Bollywood direction, plot and writing. It was a set of over the top (and not in a good way) action sequences tied together by bad movie cliches.

I am still amazed that a major US studio was willing to back this dreck. If it weren't for the fact that we were seeing it for a friend's birthday, I may well have bailed to spare myself pain. Keep in mind, I have NEVER left a movie.

buzzard

Remove ads