D&D (2024) One D&D and D&D Beyond

So About The Playtest Materials...

• I already had a paid account with D&D Beyond.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I already had a free account with D&D Beyond.

Votes: 16 50.0%
  • I created a new (free) account just to get the playtest materials

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I created a new (paid) account just to get the playtest materials

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I didn't get the playtest materials from D&D Beyond, but I intend to.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I got/will get the playtest materials from somewhere else.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I'm not interested in this playtest.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Other (see below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It didn't escape my notice that the last few surveys from Wizards of the Coast had questions about D&D Beyond, and how much of my gaming material was electronic, and how much of my games have been online. So it didn't come as much of a surprise that the "One D&D" playtest would be conducted and distributed over that platform. We all saw this coming. Did it change anything for you?

I'm curious about the impact that will have on D&D Beyond subscribers, so I put together a quick poll. Are you already a subscriber to D&D Beyond? Or was this new playtest the catalyst that finally convinced you to create an account? Or has this only strengthened your resolve to avoid D&D Beyond altogether? Are you really confused about all of the "playtest" threads?

(Disclaimer: I built this poll at 90 mph, from my phone. If I missed a poll option that you feel I should have included, let me know and I'll see about getting it edited once I get to a real computer.)

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'll probably set up a free account to download the materials and playtest them, to the extent that I can with my staunch "5th Edition Or Bust!" gaming group.

I can see how D&D Beyond is a good idea for this playtest...and I can also see how it might be bad. This whole distribution method could make things really weird in a hurry, if they intend to filter the distribution and feedback by paid subscription level, for example.

I registered a free account. I've mostly been avoiding D&DB because I don't agree with the payment model, but as long as the playtest is downloadable and not behind a paywall, I don't have a problem just registering to the site.

Amrûnril

Adventurer
I already had an account, though only for the free Phandelver download. Even so, I found it obnoxious to go through the steps of logging into the platform and getting the pdf there when it could just as easily have been posted to the D&D website like every playtest document.

I can see how D&D Beyond is a good idea for this playtest...and I can also see how it might be bad. This whole distribution method could make things really weird in a hurry, if they intend to filter the distribution and feedback by paid subscription level, for example.

I can see how having it as an option would be helpful for some players, but I really can't see any benefit to requiring an account to download the pdf.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I had a free account from way back when their character creation tool first went live so I logged in and am creating a mod for FantasyGrounds to playtest the material.

Remove ads