D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Horwath

Legend
My suggestion since the 2013 DNDN playtest was to have more than 1 "easy class" and add more classses to the game. But I was called a madman.

There are 4 Class Groups. There should be a easy class with a simple subclass for each type.
1. champion fighter, maybe bear totem barbarian
2. draconic sorcerer
3. scout rogue
4. maybe life cleric can be even more simplified with more powerful healing

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
if you get overwhelmed with complexity of 1st level fighter, then you need to read the class description again, and again if needed. And then some more.

personally, tuning the game towards people that cannot be bothered to read 1st level fighter abilities is bad design.
or just accept that those players will be bad in combat for first several sessions. or forever. Perhaps they are great roleplayers so combat will not be a big issue for them if they are not performing at 100%.
They read the class abilities. I tried to explain them to the best of my ability. They just weren't versed enough in the system to understand how everything worked together.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
My suggestion since the 2013 DNDN playtest was to have more than 1 "easy class" and add more classses to the game. But I was called a madman.

There are 4 Class Groups. There should be a easy class with a simple subclass for each type.
And I think that all PC classes should be of relatively similar complexity, and that if people want even simpler options, they can play a Sidekick.

Horwath

Legend
They read the class abilities. I tried to explain them to the best of my ability. They just weren't versed enough in the system to understand how everything worked together.
then they will have to learn the hard way.
trial and error.

we had players that were "slow" to grasp mechanics. Either not playing similar games ever or lets be honest not investing time like others in D&D, but eventually it all got sorted out. you can also passively learn the game while playing. it will just take longer.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
then they will have to learn the hard way.
trial and error.

we had players that were "slow" to grasp mechanics. Either not playing similar games ever or lets be honest not investing time like others in D&D, but eventually it all got sorted out. you can also passively learn the game while playing. it will just take longer.
And WotC is trying to make the learning process easier for Clerics by delaying when they get their subclasses. Accusing them of elitism for trying to help some newer players learn the game easier is uncalled for and stupid.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
1. champion fighter, maybe bear totem barbarian
2. draconic sorcerer
3. scout rogue
4. maybe life cleric can be even more simplified with more powerful healing
Even better:
  1. Berserker Barbarian
  2. Dashing Swashbuckler
  3. Emnity Avenger
  4. Pyromantic Arcanist
I don;t think the classic 4 classes should be augmented to make simpler version within their complex schemes.

Dont wreck the Cleric trying to make n Easy Priest option. Just design an Easy Priest Class.

And I think that all PC classes should be of relatively similar complexity, and that if people want even simpler options, they can play a Sidekick.

Or... just make the simple option a new class.

Remove ads

Remove ads