D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

I seriously doubt that the updated game rules are based in any way on the "openness" of the OGL. I really don't see how these two things would relate in any way. They might delay a few playtest packets if they need to spend time sorting out OGL-related issues, but I see no other way that the OGL controversy could change the content of OneD&D.

OGL 1.1 was a key part of the D&D One plan, they maybe rethinking a lot of things.

That being said I think it's more likely that this disaster does effect D&D One directly, beside maybe reducing the amount of playtester who are pissed at WotC and want nothing to do with them.

wizard71

Explorer
My thoughts on the cleric playtest

1) I do not like choosing a domanin at 3rd level. Most Deities in 5E only have one or two domains. What is the point of waiting till 3rd level?
2) Channel Divinity does not seem to keep up with the power level of the characters. The healing should be a D10 or D12
3) The Life Domain needs a lot of love. Its so weak compared to other domains such as Twilight & Forge. The Channel Divinity healing cap needs to be removed. If you are a Life Cleric you should be the best healer in the game. How is 5 hit points healed per level overpowered compared to the temp hit points a Twilight Channel gives out over 1 battle? Its absurd
4) The reduction in spells known is a big hit. Especially coupled with the loss of additional first level spells due to Domain choice being restricted to 3rd level. Clerics need the largest spell selection as they are the main buffers and utility casters of the game

Remove ads

Remove ads