D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
While I do love Saurials as a concept, Dragonbait's kind of. Not great. And barely looking like a dinosaur. Just a leathery old lizardman with a horn that doesn't even look like a hadrosaur

Mind I am very aware how dinosaur depictions have evolved over time, but, like, he's just a really poor depiction of a hadrosaur-man.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
White Wolf would like to say hello. WW was ubiquitous when D&D was floundering.
Yep. And today isn't the 90's. People are a lot more aware of stuff outside the mainstream.
It'd be a damned shame if projects like these -- which WotC would never do -- went away because of someone not understanding that rising tides can lift all boats.
My worry, with so much cooberation so far, is that they really think they are the tide.
There is a flood of new systems and mechanics out there. The audience just hasn't gone looking for them.

And I don't know that this decision will send the majority of fans out looking, unless tastemakers like Critical Role switch systems.
The audience has, though. The communities for those games are healthy and going strong.)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Even if Ardlings get scored low for inclusion in the 2024 book, WotC could always pivot and just release them in the Planescape book this year since they are adapted from planar creatures. Same way the Goliaths could appear in the giants book rather than 1D&D.

Even if Ardlings get scored low for inclusion in the 2024 book, WotC could always pivot and just release them in the Planescape book this year since they are adapted from planar creatures. Same way the Goliaths could appear in the giants book rather than 1D&D.

With the current crisis who knows if One D&D is still even going to be a thing.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Of course not, but it could cause them to rethink things and change direction.
I seriously doubt that the updated game rules are based in any way on the "openness" of the OGL. I really don't see how these two things would relate in any way. They might delay a few playtest packets if they need to spend time sorting out OGL-related issues, but I see no other way that the OGL controversy could change the content of OneD&D.

Remove ads

Remove ads