• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
Temporary large has all the positives and negatives in combat, but nothing outside. It doesn't solve anything. They should have just let golisths be large.
Agree. In terms of both backward compatibility and who they are Goliath's are not shape changers and don't change sizes. If permanent size large is a problem, make it an option with the lineage medium or large or just make racial feats to gain the reach, the weapon size etc. You could also just say they grow to large at 5th level. If characters can cast Fly at 5th level, than being big shouldn't be a balance problem.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
The way I see it, if you don't want flying PCs in your game, ban flying heritages.
The solution of temporary flight doesn't solve the obstacle negation issue. You don't see many hazards that a character can't fly over in 10 minutes. Either allow flight or don't In my game we had a winged tiefling and it was strong in play to be able to fly but it didn't break anything. He could fly over walls and buildings but not through walls or ceilings and he could not carry everyone, so there were still plenty of challenges.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yea, but I'd definitely argue that the "animal" part is more important than the "celestial" part. Sort of like how being Fey is a kind of hazy backstory for Goblins/Hobgoblins/Bugbears now, but it doesn't really change the overall racial tropes you'd use during character creation.
It really gills in that Narnia space for me that D&D so often is missing.

Also, a fun implication of the hubridnrule is that a player can choose whatever Humanoid Species that they want for mwchanics and make it any kind of Animal person that they want. A Cat person wood elf? Sure. A Badger Gnome? No problem. An Elephant headed Tortle? We got you fam.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Did you not read what I said, or did you just not understand it?

I have had newer players (two separate ones, in fact) get overwhelmed by the "complexity" of playing a Level 1 Fighter for the first time. Level 1. The simplest characters that you can play. Fighters don't get their subclasses until level 3. The three things a level 1 fighter has to worry about are Hit Points, Second Wind, and the Attack Action. Less than every other class in the game.

Some newer players are either so unfamiliar with how D&D and similar games work that playing even the simplest option in 5e is too complex for them at the start.
My friend ran a game with another group, and according to him there was a player in there--an accomplished LARPer--who could never remember how to run her Champion Fighter.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Does a creature need to be conscious to be willing? Does the Prayer of Healing work on dying or unconscious creatures?

I doubt I've ever read the actual rules as closely as I'm reading these......like, I somehow didn't remember that moving thru an ally was difficult terrain, sigh.

Does a creature need to be conscious to be willing? Does the Prayer of Healing work on dying or unconscious creatures?
D&D doesn't make the distinction that a target has to be awake/aware in order to be a willing target of a spell. The only time it was an issue was the old days of Magic Resistance where a character with MR had to consciously drop it to allow an allied caster to not have to roll to bypass it. But for spells that target only willing creatures it's assumed that if the creature/target would be willing while awake/conscious then they would be willing while unconscious.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The solution of temporary flight doesn't solve the obstacle negation issue. You don't see many hazards that a character can't fly over in 10 minutes. Either allow flight or don't In my game we had a winged tiefling and it was strong in play to be able to fly but it didn't break anything. He could fly over walls and buildings but not through walls or ceilings and he could not carry everyone, so there were still plenty of challenges.
Flying isn't an issue with me personally or my table.

Remove ads

Remove ads