• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
No, that's not what I said. I think that some specific aspects of its design are objectively superior. Not that I think that the setting overall is objectively superior or that everyone would or should like it.

Eberron actually isn't my favorite setting. Spelljammer is.
Fair enough. I don't think those aspects are superior, but I'm a particular sort and I said I wasn't going to talk about metaplot anymore.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Nerath used quite a bit of Eberron's design philosophies. Its religions were nuanced, it didn't have a metaplot, it was designed as a D&D setting first and foremost, not as a fantasy story setting.

However, it was also designed as the setting for 4e. You know, the edition so widely reviled that WotC had to go and make 5e as an entire apology edition for it.
I am constantly running up against posters here who are fans of 4e, most of them quite prolific in their posts. Is EN World some haven for 4e fans then, if the world still hates the edition?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I am constantly running up against posters here who are fans of 4e, most of them quite prolific in their posts. Is EN World some haven for 4e fans then, if the world still hates the edition?
You can find hundreds of posters on Reddit and D&D Beyond, written by fans that have never played an edition before 5e, that swear that 4e was terrible. Just because an older generation of players told them to think that. Or hundreds of thousands of people that watched a Puffin Forest video about 4e and think that means they know what playing 4e was like.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Call me when the game returns to having Rolls against Defenses rather than Saving Throws and Per Encounter-based class designs.
While I made roll vs defenses an alternate rule, I've got something cooking for ya.

Picture it: Sicily, 1983. Forty years after that, in another country, there's an encounter -centric, feat driven character customization game with narrative controls built in and spells balanced to feats, balanced to items.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I would probably just combine Nethermancy and Necromancy by saying that it all involves manipulating the power of the Shadowfell and then calling it a day.
That's more the Shadow Magic Sorcerer. Wizards like to compartmentalize, Sorcerers mix and match and pool the concepts all into big pools of subconsciousness made form.

Remove ads

Remove ads