D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
As do I . I don't think it likely in 5e..... But not impossible it happens.
I think it's quite possible with the One D&D structure of putting all Subclasses at 3rd level. The biggest issue with the Strixhaven UA subclasses were that the classes from PHB had non-standardized subclass power progression. Now we understand feats as generic class features, so I'd say that you could quite easily create a specialized set of feats that have level requirements of 3/6/10/14 and are taken in PLACE of a subclass.

Baumi

Adventurer
Isn't Guidance and Resistance now to strong and anying (gets used ALL the time)?

Anyway love the class especially the new Spellcasting (can change even Cantrips at long rest and no more math-checking how many Spells to prepare)!

Not to happy with the races. The Ardling is not my thing, but seems ok. The Dragonborn Breath Weapon might be better now ... IF you have multiple attacks, so it still sucks for Spellcasters and Rogues and growing spectral wings is a bit over the top .. why not have wings from the start? The Goliath is cool, but way more magical that I envishioned him (can increase size, teleport,..).

But all in all I really like it. The things that I don't are small, nitpicky things :)

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I think it's quite possible with the One D&D structure of putting all Subclasses at 3rd level. The biggest issue with the Strixhaven UA subclasses were that the classes from PHB had non-standardized subclass power progression. Now we understand feats as generic class features, so I'd say that you could quite easily create a specialized set of feats that have level requirements of 3/6/10/14 and are taken in PLACE of a subclass.
This is the kind of thing I'd put in advanced DnD if I ran the company.

I guess my issue with the goliath can be summed up as this. And don't get me wrong, one of my favorite PCs was a goliath rune knight.

I see power creep in 1DnD. That is, let's change the PCs to have even more power at level 1. Everyone gets level 1 feats! Let's boost all the species with moar power!

And power creep isn't really ever a good thing. Also, those who prefer the zero to hero model are left out completely this time, not even a nod like they/we had when 5e first came out.
I don't see that much of a buff from either the EEPC or MMotM. Like for like the D&Done Large Form has replaced Cold Resistance, and Athletics Proficiency. And ... it's flashier (and only comes online at level 5) but that doesn't make it significantly better.

Amros

Explorer
I'mma.....SERIOUSLY LIKING how Smite Undead works/is [...]
Except RAW, I think, it just doesn't work:
Turn Undead: [...] If the creature fails its Saving Throw, it is Dazed for 1 minute or until it takes any damage or you are Incapacitated or die.[...]
Smite Undead: [...] Each Undead that fails its Saving Throw against that use of Turn Undead takes Radiant Damage equal to the roll’s total.

At least, it needs clarification. As I read it, Smite Undead applies after the application of Turn Undead, which ends with any damage. Does anyone else read it like this?

Clint_L

Hero
So is a Tabaxi a cat Ardling? Is a Kenku a raven Ardling? The whole Ardling thing just seems so generic and kind of (I hate to say it) lazy. Barely a race, and more just an excuse so that no one has to feel like they can't play their human/animal hybrid of choice.

As you can tell, I have yet to be sold on the concept.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I don't see that much of a buff from either the EEPC or MMotM. Like for like the D&Done Large Form has replaced Cold Resistance, and Athletics Proficiency. And ... it's flashier (and only comes online at level 5) but that doesn't make it significantly better.
The UA goliath get's stone endurance like the original, but gets to choose several other options if they want that the original doesn't. Then on top of that, they also have increased base movement and also get this (which is much more applicable and useful than cold resistance):

1669918106453.png

The UA goliath is significantly better than it was before.

So is a Tabaxi a cat Ardling? Is a Kenku a raven Ardling? The whole Ardling thing just seems so generic and kind of (I hate to say it) lazy. Barely a race, and more just an excuse so that no one has to feel like they can't play their human/animal hybrid of choice.

As you can tell, I have yet to be sold on the concept.
Man I hope this is the case. I’m getting a hair tired of buying books only to be presented with yet another entire anthropomorphic species. I’m all for this personally

Kurotowa

Legend
No it isn't. Many deities have multiple domains. It's picking which aspect of your god you try to embody.
If you read the flavor text, it can be a bit more general than that.

The Cleric class starts off by saying, "Clerics draw power from the realms of the gods and harness it to work miracles. Blessed by a deity, a pantheon, or another immortal entity, a Cleric can reach out to the divine magic of the Outer Planes—where gods dwell—and channel that energy to bolster people and to battle foes."

The Life Domain says, "The Life Domain focuses on the vibrant positive energy—one of the fundamental forces of the universe—that sustains all life. The Clerics who tap into this domain are masters of healing, using that force of life to cure many hurts. Existence itself relies on the positive energy associated with this domain, so a Cleric of any religious tradition might choose it."

So it's pitching Clerics as being blessed be a specific deity, but drawing their power from the Outer Planes. And they can thus focus on the domain of either that deity or the Outer Planes in general.

Remove ads

Remove ads