D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."...

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Or you pick it at level 1, but the diety(ies) don't give you the extra power until you prove yourself first. They just give you your spells and channel divinity powers at low level (which is still quite a bit). Maybe you change your mind and convert to a different deity based on gameplay, and this gives you that option before you're locked in?
Yeah, since most D&D faiths are polytheistic, a cleric dont necessarily lock themselves in a very specific domain (especially since most gods also have more than one domain) until later.

Undrave

Legend
Cleric doesn't get Subclass until 3, but at 2nd gets to choose to be a tank or a blaster type, seperate from Domain.
THAT feels like something you should get at 1st level, because it impacts your stats spread way more.
Picking your subclass for a cleric is picking who you worship. Seems odd you would wait till third to do that.
Yeah it is... I guess it could be framed as picking which aspect (i.e. domain) of your deity you want to dedicate yourself to?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I like how the Cleric made it so that Martial vs Caster vs Divine Wizard are early choices, and late in your career you can mix and match (so Gandalf is a Scholar Holy Order Aasimar Cleric from 2nd Level who took the Protector Holy Order at 9th level, and promptly got his hands on Glamdring from the Troll-horde.

I also like the Goliaths of many Ordnings. I'd love a Fomorian-tied Goliath, too (maybe has an Evil Eye?).

Ardlings are still Planar and Divine - just very reflective of Guardinals now, not trying to be both Guardinals and Ardlings and a mirror to Tieflings and the Egyptian Gods. I'd still use them instead of Aarakocra or Dragonborn or Minotaurs if I was playing an Amonkhet campaign, for example.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
More likely support and interest for the Giants book.
Very possible that this is a secret slide in of an unrelated UA playtest for Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants, even, like how Rabbitfolk and Fairy were for the Feywild book, but the other two lineages - Owlfolk and Hobgoblin of the Feywild - were for Strixhaven and Mordenkainen Presents respectively.

Remove ads

Remove ads