D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Last edited:

Picking your subclass for a cleric is picking who you worship. Seems odd you would wait till third to do that.
Domain's in 5e were never supposed to be intrinsic to any particular god. Your objection really just reinforces that getting your domain at level 1 confused the god-domain relationship for players. In 5.5 you serve them from level one, and decide what particular powers you get from them at level 3.

To me the problematic ones for later subclasses are Warlocks, whose subclass much more explictly is the patron, and Paladins, who aren't real Paladins until they swear their oaths. Presumably the solution with Warlocks will be to break or weaken the patron-subclass relationship, and the solution with Paladins will be to keep ignoring the problem.

To me the problematic ones for later subclasses are Warlocks, whose subclass much more explictly is the patron, and Paladins, who aren't real Paladins until they swear their oaths. Presumably the solution with Warlocks will be to break or weaken the patron-subclass relationship, and the solution with Paladins will be to keep ignoring the problem.
I'll be very disappointed if they weaken the warlock relationship given that it's a big part of the thematic appeal. The other class the subclass is foundational to, of course, is the sorcerer (how do you get the power without deciding what you get the power from?)

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Never going to happen. As of mid 2021 D&D Beyond statistics Goliaths and Genasi were the two races to kick the gnomes out of the ten most popular D&D races (halflings were eighth, behind the rest of the PHB but ahead of both Goliaths and Genasi). This Goliath version has taken the elemental abilities and hence at least some of the appeal of the Genasi
In the video they released, they explained part of the reason they chose the goliaths was to offer an alternative to the orc for players who are scanning the book for someone who fits a vision of a big strong beefy archetype, so it's in that light that I suggest them. I would much prefer the Genasi or warforged if there were no considerations on that side.

In the video they released, they explained part of the reason they chose the goliaths was to offer an alternative to the orc for players who are scanning the book for someone who fits a vision of a big strong beefy archetype, so it's in that light that I suggest them. I would much prefer the Genasi or warforged if there were no considerations on that side.
The thing is that there are two really good "Just beefy" subtypes. The first is the stone/classic goliath, and the second is the hill genasi who, as a benefit for being big gets to send people tumbling. Meanwhile frost/fire/storm/cloud are more genasi-like (and frost, fire, and storm all scale badly)

Remathilis

Legend
I'd like less words in spells. Take Aid:
Choose up to six creatures within range. Each target gains 5 Temporary Hit Points.

Up to six creatures gain 5 temporary hit points.

Just as clear, less words. It has a range, no one outside the range can be effected. That's the whole point of range....isn't it? They have the same issue with save ends stuff. IMO, of course.
So if I cast in an area where four allies and three enemies are, my four allies and two of the foes get 5 temp HP? It doesn't say I choose who gets it, just the first six creatures are affected.

Remathilis

Legend
The thing is that there are two really good "Just beefy" subtypes. The first is the stone/classic goliath, and the second is the hill genasi who, as a benefit for being big gets to send people tumbling. Meanwhile frost/fire/storm/cloud are more genasi-like (and frost, fire, and storm all scale badly)
Presumably, the beefy part also applies to the other racial traits the goliaths get.

Xamnam

Loves Your Favorite Game
Oh, don't get me wrong, I understand your point. I'm just saying that I personally like Firbolg a lot more. :p Plus, they'd create an even stronger contrast for that archetype, and I hate for the Genasi aspects to get folded in here rather than standing as their own thing.

Weiley31

Legend
Except RAW, I think, it just doesn't work:
Turn Undead: [...] If the creature fails its Saving Throw, it is Dazed for 1 minute or until it takes any damage or you are Incapacitated or die.[...]
Smite Undead: [...] Each Undead that fails its Saving Throw against that use of Turn Undead takes Radiant Damage equal to the roll’s total.

At least, it needs clarification. As I read it, Smite Undead applies after the application of Turn Undead, which ends with any damage. Does anyone else read it like this?
I think Turn Undead is more "Get back foul undead!"
Smite Undead is more "Okay, your back far enough: BOOM!"

Last edited:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases