D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So if I cast in an area where four allies and three enemies are, my four allies and two of the foes get 5 temp HP? It doesn't say I choose who gets it, just the first six creatures are affected.
Of your choice... But then we only save a couple words. Overall, I think they use too many words.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
No, if I was playing 1e, I'd be either dead or an immortal myself.

Remember that in 1e, time between adventures passed in real time (i.e., real time between gaming sessions). So for 3,067 years to pass in game time either the bulk of that had to pass while I was at the table actually adventuring, in which case I'd be FAR beyond 9th level, or else I'd be dead. ;)

Instead, my suggestion is that Gandalf does only a few things interesting between the end of The Rings of Power and the start of An Unexpected Journey. Sure, he did a lot of wandering and a lot of researching and a lot of adventuring, but they weren't high XP adventures. Tolkien's world is pretty low-magic for PC-power, so while Gandalf defintely should be an experienced adventurer alongside 1st-3rd level Dwarf Fighters and a 1st level Halfling Expert or Rogue (depending on whether Bilbo is a PC or a hireling/companion), I don't think he'd be much higher tiers yet. Meanwhile by the time he fights the Ringwraiths and the Balrog in LotR, he's clearly much higher level. He gained a lot of levels from his solo-adventurer in Dol Guldur and from all the orcs he killed in the Battle of the Five Armies… :p

Either that or Gandalf spent all those years playing World of Warcraft.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Also, the 1/day limit on guidance is gone.
Ah, that was one of the things I liked in the last packet. I think it should have some limit to minimize spamming. If they want to offer more opportunities to use it per day, maybe a creature can only benefit from a guidance spell once per hour (instead of once per Long Rest). A caster could still cast it once per party member. :unsure:
One thing I noticed in the goliath entry: you don't double the carrying capacity anymore. You now count as one size larger.
So it seems, size might matter more when determining carrying capacity.
It's the same thing, just stated a different way. AFAIK, we have not seen any new rules for Carrying Capacity in the OneD&D playtest packets, so the standard 2014 5e rules apply:
5e PHB p.176 said:
For each size category above Medium, double the creature's carrying capacity and the amount it can push, drag, or lift.

mellored

Legend
Ah, that was one of the things I liked in the last packet. I think it should have some limit to minimize spamming.
It was also something extra to keep track of.

And honestly, your going to have to make a lot of rolls in a day to barely fail them that often.

Incenjucar

Legend
I find it interesting that Goliaths are basically the Half-Giant expy in OneD&D.

I also find it interesting that the Goliath has the ability to make itself Large. Which you get the Advantage on STR Checks (makes sense) and the longer legs as a giant gives credence to the 5 feet added onto speed. (Not the killer app in 5E, but still neat.)

Which brings me to something else: What if you're playing as a Goliath Paladin, reach that point where your aura's range increases via leveling up occurs, and then you go Large Form? The Rune Knight can become huge eventually but has no Aura to take advantage of. Duregars can Enlarge, yet I don't hear much about Duregar Paladins in that regard strangely enough.
Do we still run into the area where Crawford's "Hahaha, silly pc, No large races due to Aura whammie jammies for you."

Or is that part "conveniently" thrown out the window for that brief moment when it occurs?
Temporary largeness is very different from permanent largeness.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases