D&D (2024) One D&D Cleric & Revised Species Playtest Includes Goliath

Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 3.48.41 PM.png

"In this new Unearthed Arcana for the One D&D rules system, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Cleric class, it's Life Domain subclass, as well as revised Species rules for the Ardling, the Dragonborn, and the Goliath. You will also find a current glossary of new or revised meanings for game terms."

WotC's Jeremey Crawford discusses the playtest document in the video below.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We are using the UA in our current games, and right now, using war cleric domain is a bit more update work. So we are still usining the old class. I think in some cases, using the old 5e base classinstead of converting might be the better choice. But we actually don't know.
You would still use new spells and feats and grapple rules probably.
What work? I’m looking at the two and it is extremely straightforward, to me.

I do think Holy Order should be level 1, but I also don’t mind the idea of moving the cleric more toward Priest and more away from van helsing, and having level 1 not have heavy armor fits that.

But either way I wouldn’t call having to wait to level 2 to get heavy armor prof an update work issue, so much as a preference no lining up with how things are in the UA.

I really hope they don't go too far on this. There is a segment of the player base that enjoys optimization and building.

Don't remove someone's joy Wizards.

You can optimize characters for certain aspects without having them unbalance the game.

It take no genius to make a hexblade2/any cha bases class x.

The fun starts when you find neat combos that combine less powerful features into something playable.

If your only goal is being far more powerful than your fellow adventurers, I think you are doing it wrong* (even if the rule system allows for such characters).

*because this usually diminishes the fun of the other players.

What work? I’m looking at the two and it is extremely straightforward, to me.

I do think Holy Order should be level 1, but I also don’t mind the idea of moving the cleric more toward Priest and more away from van helsing, and having level 1 not have heavy armor fits that.

But either way I wouldn’t call having to wait to level 2 to get heavy armor prof an update work issue, so much as a preference no lining up with how things are in the UA.

You get your special channel divinity later and what is with the level 1 extra attack feature. It is work. Even if it is not too much work.

There just might be some subclasses that could end up beong more work and if the game is as compatible as I expect, just running the 2014 version will prove unproblematic.

The monk for example just works well woth the new rules. I'd say, the monk has never worked that well.

doctorbadwolf

You get your special channel divinity later and what is with the level 1 extra attack feature. It is work. Even if it is not too much work.

There just might be some subclasses that could end up beong more work and if the game is as compatible as I expect, just running the 2014 version will prove unproblematic.

The monk for example just works well woth the new rules. I'd say, the monk has never worked that well.
What I don’t get is where is the work, in that? You just get the features when the base class says you get the next subclass feature level. What am I missing?

Agreed on the monk.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
People don't tend to think in terms of "balance" when playing D&D. When I learned to play, we were hobbling together 3E and 3.5 willy-nilly, and 5E/OneD&D mixed games seem like a cinch in comparison. Just remember, specific beats general.
we were "hobbling together" 1E, 2E, 3/3.5 "willly-nilly"

I agree, balance is certainly less of a factor for us.

doctorbadwolf

Because it will make the character play different (at our current level 4). As I said, not much work, but it is work and might be a bit unconvenient.
Ah, okay. That doesn’t fall into the category of needing work, for me, but I get where you’re coming from.

To me, needing work would be something that doesn’t work, not something that just plays a bit different at a given level.

I do think they should move holy order to 1, and explicitly say in the new phb cleric writeup that if your cleric domain gives a level 2 feature, you gain that at level 3 alongside the level 1 features, or the level 6 feature.

How it is now works, but it’d work better if level 2 gets combined with another level.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases