D&D (2024) "One D&D": do you like this name for the 2024 edition?

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Yeah, reading that FAQ, I wonder how many rewrites they went through, as careful as they are to avoid saying it's a new edition. And yet, you can still tell that there's "fifth edition" and "One D&D" and they're not the same thing...
d1520154-9d54-4044-890a-e8d6974beede_text.gif

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well one thing's clear from the FAQ: they absolutely will not refer to it as a new edition. They will call it anything else: new version, new generation, next evolution, new revision...
Yeah, it seems that Edition is now a toxic word for them. Which, yeah, that's understandable, WotC really abused the term.

see

Pedantic Grognard
"One D&D": do you like this name for the 2024 edition?

My thoughts. It doesnt resonate.

Also "One" lacks a practical convenience. Currently, I can enter "5e" plus any other D&D-related word, like "races" or "wizard", and the search engine typically leaps to exactly what I am looking for. But if I would enter "one" it would be uselessly vague, and if I need to type out all of it "one d&d" that would be cumbersome.

Your thoughts?
Just one thought: The FAQ explcitly declares "One D&D is the code name for the next generation of Dungeons & Dragons" (emphasis added).

Aldarc

Legend
I do suspect that they will call it Dungeons & Dragons for at least the sake that whenever you do an online search for D&D, it will likely direct you to whatever is the most recent product line rather than the dated Edition X.

I'm sure WotC will be calling it just Dungeons & Dragons. I think you'll know what "the community" is calling it by what 3rd party publishers slap on their products to indicate compatibility with the newest ruleset.

Staffan

Legend
At the end of the day they're just going to call it Dungeons and Dragons, like they've done all the time with 5E.
Looking back, the only editions that have had the version on the cover (at least on the front) were the original 2e books and 3.5e. 1e (of course), the black 2e, 3.0, 4e, and 5e just had "Dungeons & Dragons" (or "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" for 1e/2e) on the cover.

No, it's awful. As I noted in another it made me immediately think of "Ein volk, ein reich, ein fuhrer!" and various other dodgy political slogans involving "One X!".

It feels like it's the result of a huge amount of mindless focus-grouping and that some external "branding" team came up with it, and now no-one at WotC can say, "Chris, this is dumb...".

But YMMV.

For the next time you repeat that slogan:

Here is an "ü". And try capitalizing nouns.

Remove ads