D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats. https://www.dndbeyond.com/sources/one-dnd

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

ScuroNotte

Explorer
Well, we don't know what his actual response was. But someone saying a complaint you're voicing (we don't even know your specific complaint) is one they haven't seen is not a personal attack. And for you to go around saying he has a big ego based on that is unwarranted. It's slander.
[URL='https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford']Jeremy Crawford
[/URL]
@JeremyECrawford

Replying to
@XXXXXXXX
Alternate features for multiple classes are still a possibility, but we want to do more research before we invest time in them. We don’t want our design to chase phantoms but real desires held by a large number of players.

7:47 PM · Jul 28, 2018·Twitter for iPhone

I see this as further support for my view that it should just be a fighter sublcass. There isn't enough meat on those bones.
Absolutely not. If anything Fighter should be a Ranger subclass.

Ranger is a tremendously popular pop-culture archetype will well-defined features, none of which are spellcasting or really any kind of magic except perhaps that relating to animals.

It's more popular, I'd argue, right now, than trad warrior archetypes. Or at least comparable.

It is made easier in tge glossary. Read to the end..
EDIT - This was responding to UngeheuerLich - What are you talking about? I can find no reference to drawing/stowing in the glossary. I have read to the end. I just double-checked. Did you misquote?

LOL Ung put me on ignore because he realized he was wrong I guess.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

fuindordm

Adventurer
There are some creative class abilities in this packet (Rover! Elusive!) that are very welcome.

But why oh why do they keep forcing mundane class abilities into the spellcasting framework? This just makes it harder to develop classes for low-magic settings or classes with unique mechanics that have an impact on how they feel during play.

For example, it would be so easy to say something like "If you are able to study an opponent for 1 round before engaging in combat, you gain the benefit of the Hunter's Mark spell against that opponent. You do not need to maintain concentration. You can use this ability prof bonus times per day."

I'm also slightly disappointed that they seem to be bending over backwards to make sure that abilities are as "easy" to use as possible. Bardic inspiration is a reaction now. But it felt interesting and appropriate when the bard could take a bonus action to give a physical die to another player--like they are actually taking the time to give a pep talk, a short song, or a witty remark instead of just shouting "Duck!" "Heal!" "Get 'em!" during combat all the time.

Remove ads

Remove ads