D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

Last edited by a moderator:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm a little sad that they didn't include Monk in the list of "Expert" classes. I've always considered them to be a skill-monkey-meets-Fighter class...at least as much as the Ranger is, anyway. Ah well. Minor gripe.

Woah. They included a LOT of feats in this one. But does every feat need to have an ASI attached to it now? I guess so. I don't want to believe the rumors about "power creep" but...well there's this, and there's Heroic Inspiration (that rewards you for failure). It's all little stuff, sure. Probably nothing to worry about at the moment, but little stuff tends to add up over time.

I like the changes to the Exhausted condition...much more streamlined, and probably the opposite of power-creep.

Same for "Interrupting the Rest," which states that if your Long Rest is interrupted by combat, the rest confers no benefit and must be restarted. This makes random encounters so much more dangerous and I love it. "Why yes, players, you can certainly spend the night in the Haunted Forest of Spiders and Nightmares, that sounds perfectly fine! What could possibly go wrong?"

I also like the Study action...it's expensive (it costs your whole action) but I like the way it's structured...and I especially like how it specifically puts "traps and gadgetry" under Investigation, hopefully ending the "why can't I use Perception for everything" argument at my table.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Waiting for the Sage Advice confirmation that "see invisible" effects not only fail to remove the disadvantage/advantage on attack rolls, but also fail to remove the advantage on initiative... :-/
1664462201549.png

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Woah. They included a LOT of feats in this one.

Does every feat need to have an ASI attached to it now? I guess so. I don't want to believe the rumors about "power creep" but...well there's this, and there's Heroic Inspiration (that rewards you for failure). It's all little stuff, sure. Probably nothing to worry about.

It may be a bit of power creep for those who normally choose flavor (underpowered feats) over optimization (ASIs or a few OP feats), but if the result is that more people take feats instead of +2 ASI, that’s a good outcome.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases