D&D (2024) One D&D Expert Classes Playtest Document Is Live

55F9D570-197E-46FC-A63F-9A10796DB17D.jpeg

The One D&D Expert Class playest document is now available to download. You can access it by signing into your D&D Beyond account at the link below. It contains three classes -- bard, rogue, and ranger, along with three associated subclasses (College of Lore, Thief, and Hunter), plus a number of feats.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
Aaand you're ignoring everything else I wrote.

Plus, the spell doesn't say that they give totally accurate, intelligent, useful descriptions.

"Hey plant, did anything come near you last night?"

"Yes! 1 moving thing!"

"What sort of moving thing?"

"Moving thing that didn't eat me."

"How big was it?"

"Big!"

(plant is a dandelion)
Ahh, the good old "The DM is a dick" response to anything revolving around DM adjudication. We need a spell less ranger to protect us from DM's now? How is that going to work? Any DM who is going to interpret Speak with Plants the way you are detailing here is going to be just as much of a jerk DM regardless of the mechanics.

Hussar

Legend
The poster I'm responding to regards the subsystems within spells as subsystems - they said as much, so it's a subsystem.
To be honest, in all the responses, I've kinda lost track of the conversation @Ruin Explorer. And I don't mean that as a shot or any sort of dig. I've very honestly gotten turned around. Could you do me a favor and bullet point the issue again?

Hussar

Legend
Level Up does literally all these things. It is possible, if you put in some effort to make the game that way.
But, again, that's not really the point that's being made. Level Up simply replicates spells, calls them "not spells" and now we have a "spell less ranger". Sure, it makes them different, for a given value of different I suppose, but, it's rather pointless.

Then again, I always underestimate the power of presentation when people look at this stuff. I look at the "knacks" and see spells. Sure, they aren't slotted and what not, but, they're just spells. No different than an Elemental Monk. Yup, he's casting spells with Ki, but, the point is, he's still casting spells. They work like spells, they are written exactly like spells and are limited in exactly the same way (limited use/day, very specific parameters (why, for example, can I Animal Friend Knack a 1/8 CR beast, but not a 1/4? What's the in-game justification there?) and function pretty much exactly the same as spells.

But, they're not spells. :erm:

Look, it's simple. 5e has decided that most "powers" (whatever you want to call them - in game stuff that you can do that is limited by the mechanics) are spells. So, now, when you have a class that does something, everyone uses the same format. Players don't have to relearn the wheel every time they play a different class.

For one, I'm VERY happy that they are standardizing this. I don't get to play very often and I really struggle with remembering how to do spells for different classes. How many spells do I have prepped, do I prep spells, what spells can I prep, what spells do I know - that's different depending on what class you play. Sometimes I get two new known spells/day... sometimes not.

Bugger that. Just have every class work the same and I'm much happier.

Hussar

Legend
Umm, @Ruin Explorer for me, this is post 912. I'm really more confused than before.

Fair enough, although I'm not sure "half" isn't a bit of an exaggeration. Most of the spells aren't like that. Although, I will agree that there are just too damn many spells. It's one area I would rather see a HUGE paring down. Go back to Expert D&D where you had about 8 spells per level. Done. Not going to happen, but, one can dream.

It's really actually quite annoying that the caster turns often take twice as long as anyone else's, not because they're so much more difficult to run or anything, but, because so many times, the player drops a new spell, and often aren't 100% up on the rules, or, my personal favorite, "I cast ((Insert Spell Name)" Okay, sure. What does that do? "It does this and this and this" Uhh, ok. Do you have that keyed in as a macro or do you have the spell handy to show me? "Oh, no, it's in this book... oh, you don't have that book... well, that's how it works..."

DM bangs head on desk repeatedly

Look, if you're a caster, and you've just got that brand new polymorph spell, or animate objects, or whatever, take the thirty seconds to prep it to use at the table BEFORE you use it at the table.... Pretty Please.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Ahh, the good old "The DM is a dick" response to anything revolving around DM adjudication. We need a spell less ranger to protect us from DM's now? How is that going to work? Any DM who is going to interpret Speak with Plants the way you are detailing here is going to be just as much of a jerk DM regardless of the mechanics.
And you're still ignoring everything else I wrote.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I never said I preferred that system
I never said you did. I said that your wording indicates a mindset that certain types of games are “actually well designed” and others are lazy or just shallow popularity-seeking with no concern for quality.

It also seems to suggest a preference for more complex systems that handle aspects of play with more specificity than 5e does, but hey, it doesn’t really matter.

Eric V

Hero
I never said you did. I said that your wording indicates a mindset that certain types of games are “actually well designed” and others are lazy or just shallow popularity-seeking with no concern for quality.

It also seems to suggest a preference for more complex systems that handle aspects of play with more specificity than 5e does, but hey, it doesn’t really matter.
You're trying to read into things again, and (I'm sorry, but) failing. Again.

I mentioned it only because it does a non-magical Ranger well. I am not trying to bring up anything else.

But since you insist on (now, constantly) mis-reading me...please stop responding to me. I will do the same for you.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases