D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You may have missed my post earlier in the thread (though I agree with you that that ancestry is FAR better):

Species ≠ Mutually Exclusive Reproduction.

Especially in Fantasy settings, but also in real life.

There are NUMEROUS examples of hybridized cross-species, and not just ones that are sterile, but plenty that "breed true".
Let alone the idea that an individual "MUST" be able to have children to be considered their own thing. >_>

I hate the cutting out of Half-elf and Half-orc, but I'd be sort of okay with it if they just plop the Custom Lineage option from Tasha's into the 2024 PHB and suggest that your Half-elf character may be statted as an Elf, a Human, or mix and match using Custom Lineage.
Sure, plenty of closely-related species can interbreed, but in 1D&D, all humanoid “species” can do so, which is pretty extreme. Moreover I think it’s absurd to say that all the variety of elves are different species, but they’re also all elves. Is elf a genus now? Then it’s even weirder that every species within that genus can interbreed with every other humanoid species, which I guess must also be their own genera? Cause like dwarf and duergar are both species of dwarf. Unless we want to start using the term subspecies for the different varieties of elf, dwarf, gnome, etc. And that doesn’t really feel any less scientifically racist than using the term race if you ask me.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Fan of dropping race, not a fan of species. Any of: Origin, Ancestry, or Lineage would have been a superior choice, IMO. Species makes a few options feel weird, like any transformation origin, like Reborn or Hexblood. Constructs like Autognome or Warforged. This isn't a dealbreaker, but I will probably use one of my preferences.
Origin is a bit tricky because it could also be culture of origin or country of origin. But the other options you presented are fine.

Dire Bare

Legend
That would be what they call anecdotal.
It's a question springing from an anecdote. Maybe instead of snark, answer the question?

At my table, none of my players are aware of these raging internet controversies either. When I brought it up, opinions varied, much in the way they do here on the forums. Some of my players thought changing the terminology "stupid" . . . others agreed it was long past due.

That's my anecdote!

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Sure, plenty of closely-related species can interbreed, but in 1D&D, all humanoid “species” can do so, which is pretty extreme. Moreover I think it’s absurd to say that all the variety of elves are different species, but they’re also all elves. Is elf a genus now? Then it’s even weirder that every species within that genus can interbreed with every other humanoid species, which I guess must also be their own genera? Cause like dwarf and duergar are both species of dwarf. Unless we want to start using the term subspecies for the different varieties of elf, dwarf, gnome, etc. And that doesn’t really feel any less scientifically racist than using the term race if you ask me.
This is a great point.

I'd call them subspecies of Elf or Dwarf, but at the same time, we're now treating them as their own entirely separate statblock, rather than saying to refer back to the PHB for the central spine of the "species" and what we have listed below for the "subspecies" rules, like we did in earlier 5e.

Ancestry or Lineage or Heritage are all much better terms.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Species does sound sci-fi, but is most accurate, I like it. Will use it in my next book I put out.

Question is, does anyone not reading forums care about this stuff? No one at my table even knew about many of the latest "controversies" over race, orcs, drow, etc...... when I presented PF2, one player was like "where are the races".... when I mentioned the various online views, they all had trouble believing it was real and none had ever thought of any of it, even 30 year vets. And none said it would affect their purchasing habits.
This is why its so hard to judge what people write large actually want. A huge number don't seem to actually care.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
It's a question springing from an anecdote. Maybe instead of snark, answer the question?

At my table, none of my players are aware of these raging internet controversies either. When I brought it up, opinions varied, much in the way they do here on the forums. Some of my players thought changing the terminology "stupid" . . . others agreed it was long past due.

That's my anecdote!
Putting controversies in quotes seemed like they already have their answer.

Micah Sweet

Only as distinct races species with mechanical features. You can still play a character that was half-orc and half-human, or half-and-half of any two… umm… species you want (which makes the term woefully inaccurate). You just have to pick one parent to get the mechanical features from, and mix-and-match visual traits from each as you like.
That implies the mechanics don't really matter. I think there are quite a few folks who would disagree with that.

Micah Sweet

Any term they choose will have baggage. Species is just not a politically charged and doesn't have the same historical baggage. Ancestry, heritage, and lineage, arguably do. They are only marginally better than race from a political perspective.

Origins and species are the best neutral terms. At least in English.
Does every choice have to be made from a political perspective?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases