D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

Tsuga C

Adventurer
Anti-inclusive content
A species may have several races/breeds/subspecies, extant or extinct, which qualify as members of said species. I had no problem--still don't, to be honest--with the term race being used as a synonym for species by Tolkien because the orcs were altered and corrupted elves and all (humans, elves, orcs, hobbits, dwarves) were referred to by him as Incarnates.

This "race" bruhaha is just another example of people looking to take offense over something so they can engage in moral preening. If you disagree, fine. I'm old enough (early GenX) not to care if others consider me an ossified grognard.

broghammerj

Explorer
My buddy is a PC game designer. He was brought on in later stages of development for an unpublished game. The games basic premise was to travel to an island and compete against others to retrieve archeological items. They playtested it and a person in the group criticized the premise which sent management into a tizzy. The person said they didn't approve the theme of robbing a deserted island of its archeological items because somewhere they would have belonged to a group of indigenous people. He found this incredibly interesting as the reviewer had no issue pointing a gun at the other players face and blowing their head off. Interesting how we choose to define whats important and what's a moral problem.

This current change strikes me in a similar fashion.

Staffan

Legend
If you seriously have to ask that question, I doubt your ability to engage in this discussion in a productive way.

"Breed" has been used in the real world in ways equally as icky as "race" has. Calling different categories of sentient, playable D&D creatures different breeds has the same negative connotations, if not worse ones, than "race" does.
Yeah, "breed" is super bad. Primarily, because (at least to me) it sounds like something artificially imposed, like eugenics. Dogs have different breeds, and they are that way because humans have used artificial selection to promote traits we want and reduce traits we don't. That's not something I want applied to sapient beings.

Yeah, "breed" is super bad. Primarily, because (at least to me) it sounds like something artificially imposed, like eugenics. Dogs have different breeds, and they are that way because humans have used artificial selection to promote traits we want and reduce traits we don't. That's not something I want applied to sapient beings.
I agree "breed" brings up some negative connotations. As for applying it (artificial selection for traits etc.) to sapient beings, it sounds like how the original dark lord, Morgoth, created Orcs in Tolkein's world. Sounds more likely, and even creepier, than the standard "Elves tortured and turned into Orcs" bit.

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
I agree "breed" brings up some negative connotations. As for applying it (artificial selection for traits etc.) to sapient beings, it sounds like how the original dark lord, Morgoth, created Orcs in Tolkein's world. Sounds more likely, and even creepier, than the standard "Elves tortured and turned into Orcs" bit.
We prefer to be called Uruk, and Children of Adar.

Remove ads

Remove ads