D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

Kannik

Hero
Also would prefer Lineage (though we use species extensively as a term in our non D&D games) and totally happy that it's being changed.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
The way D&D uses the word "race" is the correct usage, and using it to describe ethnicity in real life is incorrect. There is only one human race. I wish the behavior of others wasn't making us so sensitive to the word that we avoid using it. But, if is to be changed, "species" is the correct word.

All other suggestions (ancestry, heritage, origin, kin, etc) are real things that are used to describe diversity among humans. They don't specifically refer to the substantial physical and supernatural differences among humans, elves, fairies, and giants, and it's these differences that have the most relevance to the game rules.

Given time, I can get used to the word "species". Yes, it sounds out of place for the genre, as we see it as a scientific term and most fantasy settings lack the scientific method. But, the people of a fantasy world have come up with some word to describe different sentient species.

That said, I suspect some people are uncomfortable with D&D having species at all and are looking for a term that downplays the concept. I don't agree with that opinion, but I do empathize with it and recognize that my arguments won't convince them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."
giphy.gif

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
Species does sound sci-fi, but is most accurate, I like it. Will use it in my next book I put out.

Question is, does anyone not reading forums care about this stuff? No one at my table even knew about many of the latest "controversies" over race, orcs, drow, etc...... when I presented PF2, one player was like "where are the races".... when I mentioned the various online views, they all had trouble believing it was real and none had ever thought of any of it, even 30 year vets. And none said it would affect their purchasing habits.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Species does sound sci-fi, but is most accurate, I like it. Will use it in my next book I put out.

Question is, does anyone not reading forums care about this stuff? No one at my table even knew about many of the latest "controversies" over race, orcs, drow, etc...... when I presented PF2, one player was like "where are the races".... when I mentioned the various online views, they all had trouble believing it was real and none had ever thought of any of it, even 30 year vets. And none said it would affect their purchasing habits.
That would be what they call anecdotal.

Vaalingrade

Legend
As someone who also bounced around a lot of ideas before coming to species in the end, here the thing:

Heritage, Lineage, Bloodline and Ancestry aren't going to stand the test of time in terms of solving the problem removing 'Race' is solving. They've got a little 'eugenics' on them and the thin layer of it has been getting thicker in the past decade.

What's more, not all fantasy creatures can have their phenotype traced by genetic inheritance. A Warforged is built, not born. Certain half-species don't have an X parent, they are touched and transformed by certain energies.

So until the world wisens up and accepts my inspired 'That Fhing Hwhat You Is', Species is ultimately the better choice.

Remove ads

Remove ads