D&D (2024) One D&D Permanently Removes The Term 'Race'

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'. https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/1393-moving-on-from-race-in-one-d-d In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race"...

In line with many other tabletop roleplaying games, such as Pathfinder or Level Up, One D&D is removing the term 'race'. Where Pathfinder uses 'Ancestry' and Level Up uses 'Heritage', One D&D will be using 'Species'.

In a blog post, WotC announced that "We have made the decision to move on from using the term "race" everywhere in One D&D, and we do not intend to return to that term."

If you had a utopian home base why leave it?

I think a utopian base could be interesting in some settings. I could see a City and the Stars style setting where either the tedium of the home base, some secret, or as Yaarel points out, the need for resources would work. I am not against utopian elements in a setting. I just don't think this would add to Dark Sun (it feels like filing away the rough edges to the concept: i.e. it isn't meant to be a pleasant setting).

Dire Bare

Legend
So I'm wrapping a Spelljammer 3PP supplement (custom ships, full deck plans and a Nebula Wildspace system), that I included a couple 'races', which I knew were being renamed. Not knowing what that is, I chose "beings" although "sapients" crossed my mind as another alternative...
There was another sci-fantasy RPG I stumbled across recently . . . can't remember the name . . . that used the term "sophonts", which means "intelligent being".

WotC hasn't gone back to "race", they'll likely stick to "species" . . . but until One D&D comes out in 2024, "race" is the official term. Use what you want, however . . . just probably a good idea to include a sidebar explaining your choice of terms.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
There was another sci-fantasy RPG I stumbled across recently . . . can't remember the name . . . that used the term "sophonts", which means "intelligent being".

WotC hasn't gone back to "race", they'll likely stick to "species" . . . but until One D&D comes out in 2024, "race" is the official term. Use what you want, however . . . just probably a good idea to include a sidebar explaining your choice of terms.
MegaTraveller used sophont for intelligent species. They probably got it from Poul Anderson (who apparently got it from his wife).

Clint_L

Hero

I mean...is anybody seriously confused by this?

However, while I'm here I wish to resurrect "schmorp" for consideration. If a term made up by Poul Anderson's wife is up for consideration, I feel schmorp should also be in the running. It has zero baggage!

Dire Bare

Legend
I mean...is anybody seriously confused by this?

However, while I'm here I wish to resurrect "schmorp" for consideration. If a term made up by Poul Anderson's wife is up for consideration, I feel schmorp should also be in the running. It has zero baggage!
Thanks for taking folks concerns seriously, it's always appreciated.

Remove ads

Remove ads