One Ring 2E - Who's Doing What With It?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I pre-ordered the starting bundle today, so I have all the PDFs, specifically in service of a PbP game being offered on another site, but I was going to buy it anyway. I'm just curious what other people are up to with the game now that at least the PDFs have dropped. Personally, I like the focus on Eriador a lot, it's the part of Middle Earth most people are the most familiar with anyway and there's lots of room to stomp about whatever bits of middle earth you might desire, especially if you have the 1E stuff (which I do) that details a lot of the North and whatnot. I'm excited to play it, and I'm motivated to run it. Which is odd for me. Anyway, great excite.

So, what are your great adventure ideas, character ideas, or whatever?

I was considering buying it until I realized I have the same problem with LotR that I do with Dragonlance in that I'm not really sure what I'd want to do with a setting that has a definitive and specific tale it revolves around. Weirdly, I don't have this problem with Star Wars, probably because I've read so many books and played so many games that aren't Skywalker focused. And I guess that's really my answer to the dilemma. I've been thinking of trying out Lord of the Rings Online, so maybe I'll immerse myself in the world that way and see if anything sticks.

Aldarc

Legend
I was considering buying it until I realized I have the same problem with LotR that I do with Dragonlance in that I'm not really sure what I'd want to do with a setting that has a definitive and specific tale it revolves around. Weirdly, I don't have this problem with Star Wars, probably because I've read so many books and played so many games that aren't Skywalker focused. And I guess that's really my answer to the dilemma. I've been thinking of trying out Lord of the Rings Online, so maybe I'll immerse myself in the world that way and see if anything sticks.
By Shire Reckoning there are 1341 years in the Third Age before the "definitive and specific tale" of Bilbo finding the One Ring. (This is Year 2941 by the main timeline of the Third Age.) While there are certain things that happen, such as the rise and fall of kings, cities, and kingdoms, there is a lot of space between all of that. Rangers keeping the minions of Sauron at bay. Dwarves and elves on quests to reclaim lost artifacts and heirlooms of their ancient or fallen kingdoms.

Have all the pdfs, but won't do much with it until the print stuff arrives.
Played the 1st edition a whole lot, and like the art in the new version way better than the pastel green everywhere of 1st ed.
The system models the books very well

By Shire Reckoning there are 1341 years in the Third Age before the "definitive and specific tale" of Bilbo finding the One Ring. (This is Year 2941 by the main timeline of the Third Age.) While there are certain things that happen, such as the rise and fall of kings, cities, and kingdoms, there is a lot of space between all of that. Rangers keeping the minions of Sauron at bay. Dwarves and elves on quests to reclaim lost artifacts and heirlooms of their ancient or fallen kingdoms.
That's true of pretty much any setting with both history and a story. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not familiar enough with the setting outside of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and some half remembered details from 12 year old me reading The Silmarillion to be confident in running a Middle Earth Campaign that doesn't tie into the above. Maybe I'll get some of that from LotRO. Maybe not. But I figure I want some of that familiarity before I drop money on a new RPG book.

Aldarc

Legend
That's true of pretty much any setting with both history and a story. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm not familiar enough with the setting outside of The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and some half remembered details from 12 year old me reading The Silmarillion to be confident in running a Middle Earth Campaign that doesn't tie into the above. Maybe I'll get some of that from LotRO. Maybe not. But I figure I want some of that familiarity before I drop money on a new RPG book.
I have never played LotRO, but my partner has. They enjoyed it. I could see that as a good way to get a ground-level feel for the setting and generate campaign ideas.

There are some good video series on YouTube that summarize the history of the Third Age, such as the Angmar Wars and the fall of the northern kingdoms of Dunedain, the rise of the stewards of Gondor, or the founding of Rohan or the Shire. It may be worth following that rabbit hole and see what grabs your interest.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The stock setting is a fine place to get you feet wet, but the system would handle pretty much any time period you wanted it to. The benefit of Eriador in the time period between the Hobbit and LotR is that it leverages player prior knowledge as fully as possible without having the campaign actively framed or back-dropped by the events in LotR. You wouldn't need significant prior knowledge or lore mastery to run the game either, there's more than enough in the book to get you situated.

Wolfram stout

Adventurer
Supporter
I backed the Kickstarter and was having a great old time writing up ideas, until it hit me that I was building tons of railroads. So, I am having to take a step back and retrain my mind to view Middle Earth as a more open world. I am also waiting for the release of the book that will have the various adventuring sites.

Ideas, I think I want to use Werewolves (Middle Earth ones which are large and mean and have the cunning and intelligence of Man but are not shapeshifters).

Tantavalist

Explorer
Why is there confusion about what to do with The One Ring RPG?

The Darkening of Mirkwood pretty much showcases this and also rivals The Great Pendragon campaign for quality IMO. It's got a long and focused campaign arc, but also plenty of room for the GM to throw in other adventures. It's the best balance I've ever seen between open world sandbox and a plot-driven script.

...and looking about online I see that it's not available anywhere for a reasonable price. Of course.

Well, that explains the confusion. Hopefully we se a 2e re-release for The Darkening of Mirkwood at some point. And the other great 1e stuff. It'd be a tragedy if this was all lost forever.

Hopefully there will also be original 2e content that showcases the same thing. I hear rumours of a Moria campaign finally seeing the light of day.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases