One Ring 2E - Who's Doing What With It?

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I was considering buying it until I realized I have the same problem with LotR that I do with Dragonlance in that I'm not really sure what I'd want to do with a setting that has a definitive and specific tale it revolves around. Weirdly, I don't have this problem with Star Wars, probably because I've read so many books and played so many games that aren't Skywalker focused. And I guess that's really my answer to the dilemma. I've been thinking of trying out Lord of the Rings Online, so maybe I'll immerse myself in the world that way and see if anything sticks.
LotRO isn't a bad choice. If nothing else the game if free to play and lose nothing but time.

Do keep in mind that game runs more or less concurrently with Lord of the Rings. You will for example run through areas right before or right after the Fellowship does. The quest line that takes place in Bree for example expands on what Aragorn is doing before Frodo leaves The Shire, and you have some fun with Aragorn as an NPC and some ranger allies.

Have my set. Love it. It's all incredibly beautiful, gorgeous stuff.
Excited to roll it out.
Starter Set very much focuses on early Hobbit/low level adventuring, which isn't a bad thing. Leads into the adventure hooks in the main book, so i'll probably work on penning that up.

Harlath

Explorer
Have my set. Love it. It's all incredibly beautiful, gorgeous stuff.
Excited to roll it out.
Starter Set very much focuses on early Hobbit/low level adventuring, which isn't a bad thing. Leads into the adventure hooks in the main book, so i'll probably work on penning that up.
Ruins of the Lost Realm should be out fairly soon too, offering some campaign guidance and plenty more Landmarks. Looking forward to this, as while the Shire serves a good role in the narrative (place of safety to contrast with dangers etc), I'm less interested in it from an RPG point of view. Excited about exploring the rest of Eriador however.

I would agree with this, though I have found 2e to be a VAST improvement in streamlining the rules AND making them more enjoyable to implement. The changes to the Skill Endeavour rules have been fantastic.

Skill Endeavour / Council rules have broken math in that with higher dice pools it is actually easier to do supposedly harder (longer) challenges.

Also the sweet spot of these challenges is fairly narrow so you can easily end up with very small odds or virtually automatic odds depending on the swing of d6 modifiers. This is true for 2e in general with using d6 as modifiers but is exaggerated in Skill Endeavours and Councils because they count extra Tengwars.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Those who have received yours: Do you receive a notice and tracking number when it's been sent? I've still heard nothing about mine.

I despised the changes to hope so much I blocked the switch to just adding dice. That alone is a dealbreaker for several of my players.

It's not just Hope. Most modifiers are now adding / subtracting d6. d6 is just such a chunky mechanism. It can be a ~20-25 percentage change in success per die! Or at the high ends, it ends up mattering much less/ not at all.

The dice pool probability curve in 1e has the same step wise progression and issues but you mostly modified TN which is more granular and knew the dice pool you were dealing with.

I think there are some cool things in 2e -- favored skills, travel, codifing an extended skill system (although the execution is horrible) -- but the dice pool modifier issue might be a deal breaker for me as well. I probably will try some TN modifer house rules.

On the no caveats praise side -- the physical items are gorgeous!

Froderik

Explorer
Those who have received yours: Do you receive a notice and tracking number when it's been sent? I've still heard nothing about mine.

I haven't received mine, yet; but I got a tracking number yesterday. Hopefully it will actually ship soon. I saw a snippet of a YouTube video that Free League did earlier today and they said that they expect shipments to continue for the next two weeks.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I haven't received mine, yet; but I got a tracking number yesterday. Hopefully it will actually ship soon. I saw a snippet of a YouTube video that Free League did earlier today and they said that they expect shipments to continue for the next two weeks.
Ah, that's good news! Thanks for the heads up.

Remove ads