• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One Shot Campaign Assistance requested! [BADD People too!]

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Well folks, even the old Sage needs some help now and again. :)

So here's the low down folks. 15th level characters are invading a great red wyrm's lair. They are already half way through...but not quite. He has, because of his power and abilities, many guards and also two fake reds (Firewracks for you SL fans out there) along with a few other lesser dragons as guardians as well. One an ancient Slacerian Dragon, an ancient Deep Dragon and Wyrm Shadow Dragon. He also has rigged numerous traps, as well as humaniod types. such as Troll Fighter/Rangers led by a Druid Troll that also has a Iron Tusker as his animal companion. The Troll Ranger/Fighters dual wield bastard swords (meduim sized) that are magical. In another tunnel, I figured a few Tauron/Minataurs would do well for strong fighter types and finally, a Coven of Moon Hags with a Hexed magical creature of some kind. So should have more stuff? Is there anything I've missed. Questions, comments, flames are welcome. :)

Valicor

First Post
Sounds like with all that reinforcments you placed between the dragon and party, they will be lucky if they survive the final fight. Nice set up, very creative.

Nightfall

Well I wanted it to be difficult and challenging, even for a one shot deal. Especially since they'll have cartablauce(sp) with regards to races, classes and spells. (Though I imagine they'll stick with D&D core, the splat books and maybe OA.) I myself will use my issues of Dragon, all my d20 resources, (meaning the Great Wyrm will have Eldritch Feats along with Dragon feats) and the assortment of core/suppliments.

Think I should also explain, not ALL of these will be encountered since the party will come to three pronged fork in the tunnel, one leading to the Great Wyrm, the other to the Firewracks.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Uhm maybe just the fact I have guys that do a great job of min-maxing IF they are allowed.

Also it will probably be more like CR 45-55 for the Great Wyrm. I gave him levels of Wizard and Archmage as well.

Last edited:

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Nightfall said:
Also it will probably be more like CR 45-55 for the Great Wyrm. I gave him levels of Wizard and Archmage as well.

OUCH!!!!

How about having a few smaller tunnels in the ceiling that lead to a cavern above the tunnel that the party is in and have the red Great Wyrm use it's breath weapon, the smaller tunnels could be natural murder holes (I think you know what I have in mind with that description eventhough the terminology is a little off :) ). Or you could have Tucker's Kobolds somewhere in the cave complex, nasty little son's of... of... well... kobolds. Fire is such a nice weapon. Hehe. :D

Just a few thoughts.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
your party is screwed plain and simple..i will be the devils advocate and say it's too tough for them. Remove a few of the guardian dragons, slap in some golems, and a llot more traps and that would be appropriate. The CR of a 45 will slaughter the party plain and simple...

Nightfall

Mmm well if they survive perhaps... :)

Do you really think they'll scream that much?! I just thought they'd appreciate a challenge SINCE they usually tend to kill of most of my monsters pretty well. That said maybe I'll just substitute in some Iron Golems along with some Golems from the CC1 and CC2.

Alaric, I was planning to have the Dragon scry and taunt them. I didn't want to use any of his abilities, except maybe a few spells here and there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads