• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

One shot, one kill !!

Baramay

First Post
Not long ago I saw a thread along this vein. Now I cannot find it. But recently I was looking to convert an NPC from 2nd edition to 3.5 and the character is said to have killed a frost giant with one arrow. Now frost giants did not have the benefit of their high constitution in 2nd edition but maybe the one he shot had a stomach virus or something. So I endeavored, after not finding the thread, to see what I could come up with. The idea is that arrows are valuable when making long patrols so if you can do alot of damage with one it is better than wasting 3 or 4. This is what I came up with for 3.5

ranger 10/ order of the bow initiate 5 (3 favored enemies the best being giants)

strength 18 and a +5 comp. bow (+4 str)

Feats: point blank shot and ready shot from Heroes of Battle- 3d6 damage when readied against a charging for within 15 ft

Spells: hunter's mercy and fell the greatest foe (spell compendium)

Hunters mercy gives an auto crit, fell the greatest foe +1d6 for each size cat greater than you

(tr 4+PB shot +1 bow +5 favored +6)*3 +3d6+3d8+2d6 = average damage 78 points

Use of a magic arrow could increase the damage slightly but the only worthwhile one would be bane I guess.

Are there any feats I might have missed, that would factor in with the critical multipier

Iku Rex

Explorer
The only damage boosting feat I can think of (other than the obvious Weapon Specialization) is Divine Might (CW). (Yes, it works on ranged weapons.)

There are some prestige classes that could help. Deepwood sniper (MotW) gives you a 4x critical on level 2 and 5x on level 7. Peerless archer (SilvMa) has a Power Shot ability on level 3 that lets you "power attack" with a bow.

Like you mentioned, a bane ability (or fiercebane, DMGII) arrow or bow will increase the damage. So will some greater bracers of archery (+2 attack, +1 damage), or an oathbow (especially if you're allowed to buy one with a better Str mod to damage). A greatbow (exotic weapon, CW) deals a little more damage (1d10) than a regular bow.

(Of course, the easy way out is to just assume that he used a slaying arrow.)

Baramay

First Post
Iku Rex said:
The only damage boosting feat I can think of (other than the obvious Weapon Specialization) is Divine Might (CW). (Yes, it works on ranged weapons.)

There are some prestige classes that could help. Deepwood sniper (MotW) gives you a 4x critical on level 2 and 5x on level 7. Peerless archer (SilvMa) has a Power Shot ability on level 3 that lets you "power attack" with a bow.

Like you mentioned, a bane ability (or fiercebane, DMGII) arrow or bow will increase the damage. So will some greater bracers of archery (+2 attack, +1 damage), or an oathbow (especially if you're allowed to buy one with a better Str mod to damage). A greatbow (exotic weapon, CW) deals a little more damage (1d10) than a regular bow.

(Of course, the easy way out is to just assume that he used a slaying arrow.)

Great additions, I did not even think of bracers of archery. Since this guy is the owner/ lead trainer of an archery school I think it would be pretty weeny of him not to fess up if he used a slaying arrow. The NPC is from Dragon Annual #3 where there was a special called shot feat for 2nd edition.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
you could go with a +2 holy, bane bow & flaming arrows.
that would total : tr 4+PB shot +1 bow +6 favored +6)*3 +3d6+3d8+2d6+3d6+3d6+4 damage & 1d6x1.5 fire = for 94 average damage.

this assumes that the enhancement bonus from bane and holy stack.

Matafuego

Explorer
I think the main idea is not using slaying arrows.

Why are you considering average damage since "he is said to have killed a frost giant with one arrow" I think it's fair to assume he did max. damage. Isn't it?

And do you mind posting the results once you've statted this guy?
I'd love to see it, maybe here or over at the NPC Wiki?

http://d20npcs.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Thanks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads