• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Online Character Builder is LIVE!

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Even better, unless they fixed it, there's a bug that keeps you capped at 2 sheets (Watch as it turns out someone just left out the zero somewhere). So you can worry even less about it! ;p

vagabundo

Adventurer
I'm testing this in work on an XP virtual machine in ubuntu. Installed sliverlight on chrome.

Works at a decent speed - about the same as the character builder - which is on the slow side. It seems smooth, no crashes yet. I've made two characters, a quick dwarvan slayer and a bullywug mage. It is usable.

I'm liking it so far, but I would have been more comfortable with it labelled as the beta that it is. It is a step up for me from the previous character builder.

I look forward to some decent speed increases and new features - new character sheets and an export being top of my feature list, and a custom campaign option next on that list.

Even better, unless they fixed it, there's a bug that keeps you capped at 2 sheets (Watch as it turns out someone just left out the zero somewhere). So you can worry even less about it! ;p

Must be fixed - I have three characters now.

EDIt: Amusing Bug #001. If I try to print the character sheet it produces a huge file in the spooler, around 500-700MBs. Impossible to print!!

Last edited:

NMcCoy

Explorer
As I keep trying to use this thing, the interface faults get to me more and more. I have this irrational desire to find the person responsible for some of those design decisions and beat them upside the head with an Edward Tufte book while shouting "WALL! OF! HUGE! GREEN! BUTTONS!"

As I keep trying to use this thing, the interface faults get to me more and more. I have this irrational desire to find the person responsible for some of those design decisions and beat them upside the head with an Edward Tufte book while shouting "WALL! OF! HUGE! GREEN! BUTTONS!"
I am sure this interface is great for people that build their first or second character ever.

But for anyone (say, someone that could have theoretically needed more then the 20 character limit) else it will probably become annoying very soon.

EDIt: Amusing Bug #001. If I try to print the character sheet it produces a huge file in the spooler, around 500-700MBs. Impossible to print!!

Some people have reported file sizes of up to 1 GB. :eek:

The next problem is that you can't edit the pdf when you print to pdf (which is around 10 MB for a character sheet, btw).

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I think that this has been released about 3 months too early. It is not optimised. I am not a web developer, just desktop apps but this is posting to the server on every click which is not optimal and not exploiting the client side capabilities on Silverlight.
I get a lot of crashes, can not import a character from local harddrive, it hangs and I did manage to create a level 10 mage but did not appear to be able to select non essentials at wills.

Also for the homebrow/general campaign the only background options were the general ones. I could not see a way to get Scales of War.
While I could set non standard ability scores, the CB did not ever give me a next button I had to manually select the other tabs.

I reckon it will be the new Year before this will be of any use to me.

I do believe it has potential but it is not much use at the moment.

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
I tohught I'd come back to the thread and post an update.

Despite frequent crashes the first time I tried the CB, when I tried again Tuesday night it worked with no problems. I completed a character in quick order.

I will note there are several interface designs I do not like. In particular, choosing equipment and weapons was a chore to me.

Remove ads