Only 3 players

I'm trying to find more players but right now I've only got 3 for a brand new 4th edition D&D campaign. We've wrapped up our 3.5 campaign where 2 players ran 2 characters while 1 player just ran 1. I want this campaign to have a bit more roleplaying so just want everyone to have 1 character. Does that sound right?

If I end up with only 3 characters, does anyone have advice on what kind of group would be viable? Any kind of recommendation on how much I should tweak down the encounters?

Thanks for any help.

Seanusan

First Post
Encounters in 4e have an experience allocation per player, per level. Just make an encounter that matches the xp. Example: for three level one players 1 kobold dragonsheild (125xp) 3 kobold minions (75xp) and 1 kobold skirmisher or slinger (100xp) and BAM balanced encounter for a party of 3 1st level characters.

As for class make up, let them play what they want and throw a couple of healing potions in if they seem like they need it. My party so far is just a wizard and fighter.

One piece of advice, for the first few encounters tell them the tactics you are using and show them the monsters they are fighting, if you use awesome tactics, advise some to them as well. Once they get the hang of it they will be awesome, but at first you kind of need to lead them by the nose. This was my experience for the first few encounters, but one player has only ever played video games and the other is a vet of D&D since 2nd edition.

You guys will have a blast.

mlund

First Post
The Dungeon Master's Guide has everything you need to figure this out.

Basic summary: reduce your default XP budget to 3/5 of the default, since the default is based on 5 characters.

At level 1, you've got a baseline of 500xp for a 1st level encounter for 5 characters, so with 3 characters you'd simply use 300xp. In the most basic sort of encounter (X level 1 monsters at 100xp each), you'd have 3 monsters instead of 5. Elites and Solos might be a little trickier since you have less actions in the party, but the XP guidelines should still be fairly solid. Just make sure the Solo is still within the 3/5 xp mark for what a regular solo of the party's level would be and you'll be alright.

As for a party configuration, you could probably skip the Striker and go with an aggressive Defender / Leader team. I wouldn't risk skimping on the Controller though - take a Wizard.

For a 3-man party starting out at level 1, I'd recommend either Fighter (Great Weapon) + Cleric (Battle) + Wizard or a Paladin (Avenging) + Warlord (Inspiring) + Wizard.

- Marty Lund

Thanks for the advice. I haven't read over the DMG yet but it sure sounds relatively easy to figure out.

So far a couple people are thinking about playing a cleric (he always does) and a Dragonborn Ranger. The third would need to be a defender, I'd think (maybe a must for any group under 5 or 6?). I'm going to give them some time to think about what they want to play so things aren't etched in stone yet.

Thanks so far.

Remove ads