(OOC) Fitz's Folly (ToA PBP)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Re PvP in games.

I share [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION] 's wariness of D&D PVP. However, I have to say that unlike a lot of the... frankly stupid or offensive horror stories we see on the web, this has been very civil, and "justified". I think as long as we stay careful this can be resolved :)

Absolutely. I think it can be done quite successfully, but you have to be *sure* where you stand, and that you've communicated properly with the other players. That is particularly hard in PbP, so I think we were on dangerous ground, to be sure, but I think we've managed to get through it unscathed. At least, I hope we are on the road to recovery!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Absolutely. I think it can be done quite successfully, but you have to be *sure* where you stand, and that you've communicated properly with the other players. That is particularly hard in PbP, so I think we were on dangerous ground, to be sure, but I think we've managed to get through it unscathed. At least, I hope we are on the road to recovery!
Well, in the interest of communicating... if miss Imogen is adamant on keeping the ring it may not go well :/

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Not adamant on keeping it, but yet to see any reason that giving it back is the right thing to do; if I'm being honest.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Cards on the table: I don't think it's a good idea for Miss Imogen to keep the ring. I am a DM who doesn't usually have any solutions to anything in mind: I just present problems and see what happens. So normally I wouldn't care either way about this. (And its why I didn't try to stop it from happening).

But looking at it, and thinking about all possible futures: I can't really see a way forward for this game (that involves Imogen as a PC) if she keeps it. It's not impossible that she could learn to keep it under control like Cimber has (she is strong willed, after all). But he has had a hundred years to get where he was with it. The ring wants to freeze the world in icy death. It hates everyone and everything. Like Imogen, a lot of factions think that they can use its power for their own ends. Cimber uses it to his benefit, sure, but mostly he's trying to keep it away from people who would destroy the world with it (either on purpose or under its thrall).

Anyway, I am not "ordering" Kobold to give it back, (or whatever) but I think it will be a difficult juggling-act to find a way back to the plot otherwise.

Fradak

Explorer
I think Chrysagon could easily keep it with his charisma save. He got his Aura of Protection and his Aura of Devotion (can't be charmed) in a few levels.

[sblock]Just joking...[/sblock]

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
To be fair, I don't think they would have put it in the adventure if they didn't think there would be a possibility of a PC getting a hold of it. I mean, what would you have done if Artus had died fighting the ghouls? He's tough but he's not that tough. I stand by that I'm not 100% against anyone having it, but I think 1: It's too "early" (level-wise), 2: It's too "hard" (to control it) and 3: It's too contentious. In particular because you have to *betray* an honest ally for it. Maybe our favourite Zhent-girl is okay with that, but not all of her friends will be, no matter what. (As far as I can tell.)

Remove ads