• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OOC - Planescape: A Hopeless Beginning

JimAde

First Post
So, Eluvan, I'm thinking about an Aranea. This critter has 3 HD and a +4 LA (Total ECL 7) and "casts spells as a 3rd level sorcerer". If I take a level of sorcerer, would it stack? Would I then cast as a 4th-level sorcerer, or just have lots of low-level slots?

Just a random idea that I'm not committed to. If it's too odd just let me know. Also, I was planning for the character to be of good alignment regardless of what type of creature it is. Do you want to impose alignment restrictions?

Eluvan

First Post
This is Planescape. :)

So no, no alignment restrictions (the Planescape ethos takes them very much as guidelines rather than rules - even fiends and celestials can deviate from their natural alignments), and it wouldn't be too weird (no such thing as too weird for Planescape). ;)

And yes, subsequent levels of sorceror would stack with your racial casting ability. So at level 8, with one level of sorceror, you'd have all the casting ability of a level 4 sorceror.

tylermalan

First Post
Eluvan,

[sblock]I've got an idea for a character that is all about improvisation - everything he uses is improvised from the environment around him, and not necessarily JUST in combat, but in almost every situation. I also want him to be a weird race, but don't have access to Savage Species. The books I DO have access to (in that regard) are Races of Faerun and DMs Guide II. I think I just might need some help with what classes to take and things of that nature, though I was thinking possibly Bard with just the right feats. Also, possibly psionic, who uses his powers to augment his improvisational skills. Whatdya think? Any ideas?[/sblock]

Eluvan

First Post
That's a really great idea Tyler, I love it. :)

More detailed thoughts below, since you seem to want an air of secrecy here. :p

[sblock]Bard definitely sounds to me like the right choice of class. In terms of actual abilities I guess what you are looking for is a Jack of All Trades, since then you'd have the largest possible array of tools with which to improvise. So... I'd go for mainly bard, with a splash of rogue (as your first level ideally) for extra skill-heavy goodness and a bit of Sneak Attack. Maybe 2 Rogue levels for Evasion... it seems to fit the theme. If you want to look into Psionics, a level of Psion would let you pick up powers like Call to Mind, Skate, and Deja Vu... those are just a few which seem to lend themselves really well to your concept. It would mean spreading yourself thinner though, so think it over carefully.

I don't know if you have access to Complete Adventurer... if so, I heartily reccomend looking at the Bard spells in it, cause they're really flavourful and cool. They might entice you to lean more heavily towards Bard in your character build. If you don't have it, let me know and I'll send you some information on the relevant spells if you're interested. There are some nice Bard-orientated feats, too.

Ability scores - seems like your first priority will be Int, for as many skill points as you can cram. Cha should be high, particularly if you're going the route of the bard. I assume you want some combat strength too. Going Dex-based would allow you to beef lots of your skills at the same time. The cheesy option of 3 levels of Swashbuckler might look quite appealing at this point, to pick up free Weapon Finesse, Int Bonus to damage, and some BAB.

As for a race... hmmm. First thing to remember is not to limit yourself to what you have rules for. If you don't have the rules for playing a certain race, I might. And if neither of us do, we can make some up. :)

That said... have you considered a pixie? :D Seriously. It seems like it would be perfect for your concept, though it would leave you with a hefty ECL of +4, and one racial HD (a d6, with 6+Int skill points, and a feat). In the MM it says the ECL goes up to +6 if you have access to Otto's Irresistable Dance, but SS has a system that seems better to me; all Pixies have potential access to it, but they need a Cha of 20 or better to use it (bear in mind they get a racial +2 to Cha). Honestly, the more I think about it the more I think a Pixie would be perfect. The spell like abilities are great for what you have in mind I think.

Still... I can imagine that might not be what you had in mind. :p Otherwise... if I was you I think I'd be tempted by a Succubus (or Incubus). You wouldn't start with any levels that way of course... and couldn't take any until level 13, in fact. I guess that'll probably put you off. But they get very nice ability modifiers (+6 Cha! Wheee!), some spell like abilities, some feats that will let you customise them to your needs, plenty of skills points, a good combat presence (at level 8 you'll have +7... yeah, *7* Natural Armor, as well as Energy Drain and a +2 bonus to your Con and Dex. Only a +5 BAB and 5HD (d8s), but... as I say, I'd be tempted.

If you want something that will let you take a fuller complement of class levels... hmmm. You say you have Races of Faerun? Take a look at Fey'ri maybe. I can see them working. Spell like abilities (including Alter Self at will!), flight, some decent ability mods, Darkvision, and lots of racial skill bonuses.

Or, as the super ECL-light option, how about a Changeling (from Eberron Campaign Setting)? No ECL at all, and they give you a nifty Disguise Self at will ability and some nice weirdness to play around with. No other bonuses to speak of, but for no ECL you can't go wrong, right?

Hope that's given you some ideas, anyway. :)[/sblock]

JimAde

First Post
Eluvan said:
This is Planescape. :)

So no, no alignment restrictions (the Planescape ethos takes them very much as guidelines rather than rules - even fiends and celestials can deviate from their natural alignments), and it wouldn't be too weird (no such thing as too weird for Planescape). ;)

And yes, subsequent levels of sorceror would stack with your racial casting ability. So at level 8, with one level of sorceror, you'd have all the casting ability of a level 4 sorceror.
Sweet. I haven't settled on it for sure, but I've got spidery things on the brain (see my sig) ;)

tylermalan

First Post
[sblock]Yeah, a bard rogue mix looks pretty good, and though I want to take bard levels, I can't really see the point of most of the bard abilities when I'm going to be relying on skills that I can pick up just as easily as a rogue, unless you can see something that I'm not thinking of.

I do NOT have access to the complete adventurer, I actually have all the 3E class books, and haven't been able to bring myself to buy all the 3.5 versions since I already have the old ones :)

As far as races go, I was thinking about the Fey'ri too, sounds like it might work pretty well, but I just took a look at my RoF, and I immediately saw images of a Tanarukk pounding around heaving everything he can get his hands on, jumping from ledge to ledge and the like...

Also, one of the first things I thought about was a changling-type race too, doppleganger or something, but I don't have the Eberron stuff...[/sblock]

JimAde

First Post
Blast! The Aranea has a level adjustment, but no notes on what its stats should be as a PC. I think I'll ditch the idea. Something different (with a preliminary write-up) coming tomorrow.

Remove ads