OOC: The hunt for the blue palace (Troika!/Yoon-Suin, full for now).

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I could say tons about monetary policies of Xian vs Yoon Suin, metal exchange rates, trade imbalances but... that's not why you are here are you? :D

Anyway, it took us 1 week to go from "are we doing this?" to character creation, party meeting, adventure "obtained" and first encounter. I am very happy about how this is going so far! Said first encounter is a bit more of a "trash fight" than super neat material, but I think it's important to get one of those under our belt, both to test the system in itself, and see how it runs on a play by post. The "opposed roll" nature of combat really changes things. If Subotai is attacked by 5 gremlins, he has to do 5 opposed roll - and he might kill most of them too! But how we handle that in a play by post is important (otherwise it can slow things down).

On the other hand, the damage is way higher than in the old Fighting Fantasy, so you have to be careful not to take too many risk, because you can take a lot of damage very quickly. This is an interesting change from the old advanced fighting fantasy system, where the average attack did 2 points of damage... in the current system if you are hit and take 2 points you count yourself lucky!

@tuffghost12 It increases your armor by one - so there is now a - 3 penalty in total to the 1d6 damage "roll" (although it reduces to 1, never further), so you are quite well protected. Because it's on your hand, it doesn't take encumbrance but it does mean that your off-hand is busy, which might matter in some circumstances. If you wish, you can have it on "top" of your rucksack (ie easy access) to keep your hand free, but in cases of ambushes then it won't help you until you have the chance to grab it.

tuffghost12

Ghostly Tuft
Anyway, it took us 1 week to go from "are we doing this?" to character creation, party meeting, adventure "obtained" and first encounter. I am very happy about how this is going so far! Said first encounter is a bit more of a "trash fight" than super neat material, but I think it's important to get one of those under our belt, both to test the system in itself, and see how it runs on a play by post. The "opposed roll" nature of combat really changes things. If Subotai is attacked by 5 gremlins, he has to do 5 opposed roll - and he might kill most of them too! But how we handle that in a play by post is important (otherwise it can slow things down).

Things are going smoothly so far! (Famous last words) This system is fairly intuitive, and making characters is super quick... also really fun! On that note, I can't imagine being able to play Troika with my friends here, so I'm really happy I stumbled on your game. Thanks for putting this all together!
@tuffghost12 It increases your armor by one - so there is now a - 3 penalty in total to the 1d6 damage "roll" (although it reduces to 1, never further), so you are quite well protected. Because it's on your hand, it doesn't take encumbrance but it does mean that your off-hand is busy, which might matter in some circumstances. If you wish, you can have it on "top" of your rucksack (ie easy access) to keep your hand free, but in cases of ambushes then it won't help you until you have the chance to grab it.
Thanks. I'll put it down to -3. Should help 🤞

Ya, it's probably more ideal that the shield is strung-up on my rucksack. Also, as characters go, I don't think Mui is the type to constantly be on-guard and hold his shield. He's a pensive dude.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I know what you mean. Shields are for war. I expect that Dubi Gan only has his shield in hand when he is planning to get into a fight, otherwise it's probably stowed. Actually, it's probably on the porter!

Last thing he had in his hands is the stick that he drew the map with. Was there much time between pointing stuff out on the map and the critters? (He would have kept the stick in hand to tap at the map while discussing it.)

If we were ready to head into the woods he'd have tossed it aside.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Yeah, looks like I defended myself right, and punched the thing in the face! :)

I like this system so far. And not just because my first attack rolls were great. :D

Now, let me adjust my sheet with that armor, because eventually I'll get hurt, I just know it.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
@Fradak I fear Pinpehlu spent all our rupees on his shiny new rhino vest... Those things are expensive. But the porter is so very proud of his armor! :D

tuffghost12

Ghostly Tuft
Can I ask why a few of you are rolling with the damage roll added in and then redoing the math after? Am you need to do is use a ; instead of a + and coyote won't add them together.

Can i get an example? I'm a tad confused.
I think most of us are rolling, then cross referencing the charts to see what damage we actually did.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Can i get an example? I'm a tad confused.
I think most of us are rolling, then cross referencing the charts to see what damage we actually did.

Oh, a few of the posted rolls looked like this: 2d6+1d6+7 (5, 6)+(5)= 23. And then it was neccessary to recalculate 18 attack and 5 damage (then look it up). Very confusing.

Format on Coyote Code should be 2d6+7;1d6. Then it would give you results of 18 and 5 without having to redo it. It's no big deal, but we are already trying to understand a new (and a little bit odd) system, so using Coyote in an awkward way will just make it more hard to follow.

Like I said, though, not a big deal.

tuffghost12

Ghostly Tuft
Oh, a few of the posted rolls looked like this: 2d6+1d6+7 (5, 6)+(5)= 23. And then it was neccessary to recalculate 18 attack and 5 damage (then look it up). Very confusing.

Format on Coyote Code should be 2d6+7;1d6. Then it would give you results of 18 and 5 without having to redo it. It's no big deal, but we are already trying to understand a new (and a little bit odd) system, so using Coyote in an awkward way will just make it more hard to follow.

Like I said, though, not a big deal.

No worries! We're all learning!
You're entirely right. We should be as clear as possible so we don't confuse each other.
So, if I understood correctly, I should use a semicolon to separate the dice rolls.

To do an opposed roll and damage:
2d6+skill;1d6

(reading back on your other messages, it's all making sense now. haha)

Last edited:

Remove ads