• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 448

pallandrome

First Post
Well, dispel magic would probably not have had a shot. After all, the BBEG is damn near level 20, if not at it, and the Sapphire Guard appears to be made up of level 12-13 and down (with exceptions for Miko and other named Guards.) Assuming you did have someone in that pile-up what was willing to try a dispel against the vastly-higher level Xykon, it still probably would have failed.

Besides, I think that any encounter between a 20th some-odd level BBEG and 20-30 some odd level 10ish npcs SHOULD be handwaved. It is NOT the NPCs job to save the day. That's what the heroes are for.

Humanaut

First Post
Question

I liked the strip OK i guess, but can you really do that with a Symbol? I thought that you could not use it offensively, on a sword at triggered for a hit is their example. So tossing it at them isn't offensive? It's not like they voluntarily interacted with it... it was a missle weapon...

What do others think?

I do like the creative use, and an 8th level spell should smack down low level dudes... buuuuut...

Delta

First Post
It made me sad, frankly. It was a surprising tactic. I don't have any problem with the rules adjudication.

Note that dispel magic is no help here: according to the insanity spell, the effect is instantaneous, and you need "greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish" to help a targeted creature.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/insanity.htm

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ridley's Cohort said:
Not entirely satisfied with this one. It felt pretty hand-wavy to me.

At least, that is not how we would adjudicate an effect that emulates a permenant Confusion.
I'm with you there.

Also, note that if the cloaked figures were Miko and Nale, they're now done for.

I can't help but think that Xykon was almost dead when he tried to divert attention away from himself...

Remove ads