OotS 448

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Not entirely satisfied with this one. It felt pretty hand-wavy to me.

At least, that is not how we would adjudicate an effect that emulates a permenant Confusion.

SPoD

First Post
Ridley's Cohort said:
Not entirely satisfied with this one. It felt pretty hand-wavy to me.

At least, that is not how we would adjudicate an effect that emulates a permenant Confusion.

I don't see how it's hand-wavvy. Symbol of Insanity can be set to be triggered by looking at it, and by alignment. Xykon scribes it in the morning to activate if any Lawful Good creature looks at it. Then he lobs it in the middle of a group. The first person who looks at it activates it, causing everyone within 60 feet to make an impossibly-difficult-for-their-level Will save. The majority fail. Right off the bat, 30% of the paladins attack the nearest creature, and the next round, all the confused paladins attacked by their neighbors automatically attack back AND another 30% of the remaining confused paladins attack the nearest creature. Eventually, every paladin has been attacked by another and is thus attacking back. Xykon mops up the rest with Magic Missiles and Lightning Bolts.

It seems to follow the rules exactly, unless there's a specific factor I've missed...I mean, it is an 8th level spell that costs 5000 gp and has a 10 minute casting time, vs. a bunch of paladins below 10th level. It pretty much SHOULD slaughter them, it was a mismatched fight.

Celebrim

Legend
Interesting.

Except it wouldn't work that way.

Each round, only about 24 of the Paladins would have been tied up fighting each other (12 attacking nearest creature and the 12 they attack). Around 8 or so should have been attacking Xykon (as either the nearest creature or else acting normally or else attacking caster). And at least a couple of the paladins should have passed thier save simply by rolling natural 20's. (Although I suppose you could say the three attacking did this.)

Symbol of Insanity is a great opening volley, I admit, but it does seem a little hand wavey.

SPoD

First Post
Celebrim said:
Interesting.

Except it wouldn't work that way.

Each round, only about 24 of the Paladins would have been tied up fighting each other (12 attacking nearest creature and the 12 they attack). Around 8 or so should have been attacking Xykon (as either the nearest creature or else acting normally or else attacking caster). And at least a couple of the paladins should have passed thier save simply by rolling natural 20's. (Although I suppose you could say the three attacking did this.)

We don't see all 39 paladins every panel. We don't know if any attacked Xykon between panel 12 and panel 19, and remember that if a creature gets the "attack caster" result but can't get to the caster (such as if there are 38 other paladins in the way), they just move closer to the caster.

And I count 6 paladins who weren't affected (first 3 who attack, cleric in panels 9/10, guy in cloak in panel 13, guy in bandana in panel 14).

questing gm

First Post
Even robed figure got stabbed, he/she seems to have made his/her save (or was completely immune entirely)

'Wait, stop! What are you doing-!'

Anyone making any guess on the identity ?

Although it did felt a little hand-waved climatic combat, but if the rules say that this can happen. It happens. I remember when my PCs ripped my BBEG apart with just a Darkness spell to mess him up. :heh:

Last edited:

DreadArchon

First Post
Further, it's much less hand-wavy than combat with the Order (one-shot beheadings, etc.). I usually regard the combat as somewhat symbolic (as if three rounds compressed into every one and the audience shown only the average result), but here even that isn't really necessary.

As a side note, I found the comic hilarious.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
SPoD said:
an impossibly-difficult-for-their-level Will save. The majority fail.
I think this is the point some of us find, well, silly. I have a sixth level cleric who could give everyone in the room a +6 to their saves with three or four spells, without getting into mass eagles splendors or wisdom boosting items. Resurgence is pal1. A simple hallow spell gives everyone prot evil and probably Aid to help them survive that first round of chaos. The cleric didnt have dispel magic prepared? Apparently this room full of paladins and a couple of clerics didn't know they would be fighting a spellcaster, in spite of, well, knowing they would be fighting a spellcaster.

I find that too often authors try for dark or gritty and just hit cheap. Unfortunately that's what I took from this strip.

Remove ads