• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 449

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Sound of Azure said:
Cloaked guy's just behind Soon. (Edit: There are TWO cloaked guys behind Soon, in light and dark blue varieties!)
D'oh! You're totally right--and I thought I looked really carefully before posting that, too. Good eye!

Daniel

hong

WotC's bitch
Grog said:
They're still slashing weapons against DR 15, though. And ghosts probably don't have much of a Strength bonus.

Soon might be a challenge, but I don't think most of the rest will be.
Incorporeal attacks ignore DR.

Apropos of nothing, I keep reading Brent Nall as Bent Nail. Sorry, Nail!

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

I'm going to assume he wouldn't waste the time drawing a cool, ghostly paladin martyr army only to have them not be able to touch Xykon. That would be truly weak as well as a waste of time.

I'm sure these ghosts have some kind of means of defending against undead. It should be a cool battle.

Celebrim

Legend
Celtavian said:
I'm going to assume he wouldn't waste the time drawing a cool, ghostly paladin martyr army only to have them not be able to touch Xykon. That would be truly weak as well as a waste of time.

That was kinda the assumption following seing Rich draw a cool living Paladin army, but it didn't really work out that way.

It should be a cool battle.

Oh, I agree that it should be.

frankthedm

First Post
SPoD said:
Why wouldn't they? If they are ghosts, they'd have the same ability scores as in life, with Charisma +4. (Which, of course, gives them all another +2 to their saving throws.)

But more to the point: Can't we just admit that we have NO IDEA what their stats are now, and that if Rich wants them to win, they'll win, and if he doesn't, they won't???
Incorporeals have no str.

SPoD

First Post
frankthedm said:
Incorporeals have no str.

Huh? Says who? That's not in the SRD description of Incorporeality, and the Ghost template specifically doesn't change the ability scores.

It does say that Incorporeal creatures cannot manipulate objects, but that is not the same thing as "No STR" at all. In fact, a ghost using a ghostly weapon (which almost all of those paladins have) uses STR for its attack roll and damage (though they do have a 50% miss chance). They only use Dex for any special Touch Attacks, which I don't imagine them using.

And I can't find any proof that Incorporeality ignores DR, either.

frankthedm

First Post
SPoD said:
Huh? Says who? That's not in the SRD description of Incorporeality, and the Ghost template specifically doesn't change the ability scores.
No body, no STR.
Nonabilities
Some creatures lack certain ability scores. These creatures do not have an ability score of 0—they lack the ability altogether. The modifier for a nonability is +0. Other effects of nonabilities are detailed below.

Strength
Any creature that can physically manipulate other objects has at least 1 point of Strength. A creature with no Strength score can’t exert force, usually because it has no physical body or because it doesn’t move. The creature automatically fails Strength checks. If the creature can attack, it applies its Dexterity modifier to its base attack bonus instead of a Strength modifier.
And I can't find any proof that Incorporeality ignores DR, either.
Touch attacks ignore DR may be waht someone was thinking.

SPoD

First Post
frankthedm said:
No body, no STR.
Nonabilities
Some creatures lack certain ability scores. These creatures do not have an ability score of 0—they lack the ability altogether. The modifier for a nonability is +0. Other effects of nonabilities are detailed below.

Strength
Any creature that can physically manipulate other objects has at least 1 point of Strength. A creature with no Strength score can’t exert force, usually because it has no physical body or because it doesn’t move. The creature automatically fails Strength checks. If the creature can attack, it applies its Dexterity modifier to its base attack bonus instead of a Strength modifier. Touch attacks ignore DR may be waht someone was thinking.

The text you quoted does not say that all incorporeal creatures have no STR, it says that some creatures with no STR are incorporeal. Not even close to the same thing.

Ghosts don't have "No STR score". That quote would only apply to a monster that didn't have a STR score, which is not a ghost. Since they take the time in the Ghost template to say, "You now have no Constitution" then we know that ghosts don't lose their STR, and in fact make use of them when attacking with ghostly weapons.

Further, wraiths and spectres have a STR of 0, which as your quote proves, is NOT the same as having no STR.

hong said:
Touch attack, incorporeal touch attack, same diff.

No, it's not, because ghostly weapons aren't touch attacks AT ALL. They are incorporeal attacks, but not touch attacks.

Last edited:

Remove ads