• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 500

orsal

LEW Judge
My thoughts on who is being married:
[sblock]
I'm pretty sure it isn't Haley and Elan. The reason: they're naturally the first couple we'd think of, and I'm sure Rich kept them hidden for a reason. So he has a surprise planned.

The two no-longer-nameless NPCs is possible; they're probably the second couple we all thought of. But whoever it is, we're going to go back in time for a new story arc which will, after about 100 more strips, get us to this point. Then we'll know.[/sblock]

Balgus

First Post
FalcWP said:
He obviously thinks that he's Lawful Good, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary, and there's a big difference between dying while the oath is still on the table (even if you're deliberately not pursuing it, which he wasn't) and actively going and trying to get out of said oath. The first probably isn't Lawful; the second pushes you over towards Chaotic.
Funny.. being a caster you would think he has some intelligence... and you would think he would the self awareness to know when to call it quits...

Perhaps he could not forsake the oath and still get into LG heaven. But if he forsook it (is that even a word) he would fall out of favor with God A, but taking up another oath with God B will curry him favor there... and unless they were friends who hung out in afterlife... then God B would grant him happiness in afterlife. He just wouldnt be able to climb the LG mountain of happiness... where the rest of his family are.

And from the look of things, it doesnt seem like he cared.. considering he took Roy's offer without even thinking about it.. and does not seem to be remorseful about it at all..

SPoD

First Post
Balgus said:
Perhaps he could not forsake the oath and still get into LG heaven. But if he forsook it (is that even a word) he would fall out of favor with God A, but taking up another oath with God B will curry him favor there... and unless they were friends who hung out in afterlife... then God B would grant him happiness in afterlife.

It doesn't appear that the gods are actually involved in any way with the Blood Oath. It is an actual binding spell, like a curse, and the person who helped him swear it was not a cleric (by any stretch). I don't think it was as simple as "I forsake the oath!" or Eugene would have done exactly that.

Plus, there's no evidence that there are gods who are both Good and "at odds" with one another to that degree. All of the pantheons cooperated to form the world, after all. I don't think the gods are in direct competition the way they are in, say, Forgotten Realms. It's possible that only a Chaotic Evil god would be willing to help someone get around such an oath in the OOTS world. Or maybe not even then; Loki and Tiamat helped make the world, too.

Pbartender

First Post
Balgus said:
Funny.. being a caster you would think he has some intelligence... and you would think he would the self awareness to know when to call it quits...

As someone who works with a laboratory full of PhD scientists and engineers of whom you'd generally assume the same... You'd be dead wrong.

MarkB

Legend
frankthedm said:
Getting married is either Elan and a 4 or so month pregnant Haley or the 2 Guards folks keep mentioning
I vote for a surprise twist: It's Nale and (possibly a 4 or so month pregnant) Sabine.

Ry

Explorer
prosfilaes said:
I can't imagine a worshipper of a lawful good god marrying Sabine to anyone.

To get Roy back... pray to Thor for guidance, Thor says "Yeah, whatever."

kenobi65

First Post
Pbartender said:
As someone who works with a laboratory full of PhD scientists and engineers of whom you'd generally assume the same... You'd be dead wrong.

Indeed. IMO, awareness of your own alignment is probably more a function of Wisdom than Intelligence. It seems pretty clear that Eugene used Wisdom as a dump stat. :D

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I don't think Elan and Haley are the "marrying types."

Marriage strikes me as pretty Lawful behavior. Not alignment-changing Lawful, but still, it's a lifetime commitment to a code of conduct. Haley and Elan would both chafe under that sort of arrangement, I think. I'd also think they'd chafe with kids...they're both too flighty and too adventurous to reproduce at the moment, and it'd be pretty irresponsible to the kid. If Haley was pregnant she'd FREAK THE NINE HELLS OUT, and I'm pretty sure Elan would, too (though in such a way as to let her know he's not going to abandon her). At the very least, the kid is a drain on resources and another mouth to split her treasure with.

Haley's too selfish. Elan's too easily manipulated/flighty. Neither would be comfortable with a wedding, I'd think.

So if they ARE getting married, they're being forced into it by Nefarious Forces. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads