• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS 512

Heckler

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
Last I looked, the title of the thread was "OotS 512" not "Say only nice things about OotS 512 and don't mention if the site isn't working well enough to access it". If discussing OotS and the issues accessing it on an OotS thread is threadcrapping, I think the definition has gotten a bit broad for usefulness.
Going from OotS 512 to you kvetching about "free comics" is a heck of a lot more than topic drift...

Aries_Omega

Explorer
Thunderfoot said:
As a former Soldier I would like to point out that the 'Tower" chat is eerily close to that of an artillery strike called in on your current position....it might be too late to escape.

Let me conjecture the finish of that conversation...
The bad news is... you're about to be obliterated be the incoming Meteor Swarm/Fireball/Disintegrate or other high level Oh Crap spell you wish here....*whsitleing sound emulating incoming rounds* :confused:

Yeah I am a vet too and that was just a little to close to home. In fact I was a scout in the Army (was...always will be. Once Cav, always Cav Aieeyah!) and part of my job was being able to call in artillery to a given position and guiding in follow on forces. We used a red star cluster parachute flare for marking targets often times for example. I got a feeling something bad is about to happen.

Kahuna Burger said:
Last I looked, the title of the thread was "OotS 512" not "Say only nice things about OotS 512 and don't mention if the site isn't working well enough to access it". If discussing OotS and the issues accessing it on an OotS thread is threadcrapping, I think the definition has gotten a bit broad for usefulness.
It's not threadcrapping. But we're trying to explain why we think your criticism is unfair. That's the point of discussion forums, yes? To discuss?

The thread is also not "Say anything about OotS without anyone calling you on it if they disagree with it."

Rabelais

First Post
I was a 13F (forward observer) back in the day. If you want to say it right, say it with Arty. (artillery)

;)

Target locked, fire for effect.

Last edited:

SPoD

First Post
Kahuna Burger said:
Well, I can complain about anything I want to. I can feel justified in complaining anytime someone sets up an expectation and then fails to fulfill it. The money issue comes up only because some people act as if Rich is exempt from criticism because he is giving us OotS "for free".

The part that annoys me is that RICH doesn't think he's exempt from criticism, it's mostly just his fans. He's said a bunch of times that he understands that not keeping a schedule costs him readers, and he's made his peace with that. He is willing to prioritize his health over his business. He's perfectly OK with losing all of the fans who are annoyed at the lack of schedule forever, because he's not willing to compromise his health any more to make sure the comic is up on time.

That pisses a lot of people off, because it disempowers their complaints. They complain, "Hey, if he can't keep to a schedule, I'm leaving!" and he says, "OK. See ya." I don't see how he could be any more upfront about what's going on now; he certainly knows he's losing fans, he just doesn't care. Presumably, he's estimated that he can lose X% of his fans before he has trouble paying his bills. He's not exempt from criticism, therefore, he simply is unwilling to make any changes in his business, even if that hurts his business in the long run.

Because there are more important things in life than how much money you make, right? And he's decided his health is one of them. Good for him, I can wait for the comic.

EDIT: To further disprove the network TV analogy, a network TV show is a labor of hundreds (maybe thousands) of people. If one calls out sick, another fills in. Rich is one guy, doing everything by himself. One guy who has stated that he has ongoing health issues. I don't understand the unwillingness to cut him as much slack as he needs.

Last edited:

Remove ads