• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS #623 Is Up....

SPoD

First Post
Wait, I'm confused.

Did that actually happen to V at some point?

Presumably, yes, between the time s/he turned invisible at the wall of Azure City and the time s/he showed up on the boat, hiding with the evacuees. S/he does call it a "memory" not a "dream". However, this is the first time we have seen or head about it.

Nightson

First Post
Wait, I'm confused.

Did that actually happen to V at some point?

During the attack on the city, he ran out of spells except for invisibility, which he cast on himself and then ran. So I gather that all really happened, V was there and was unable to help due to his lack of spells.

FourthBear

First Post
Presumably, the nightmares V experiences on having to helplessly stand around while invisible and watching the soldiers being brutally slaughtered are the reason why V has refused any trancing. And part of the reason that V is clearly going insane.

WalterKovacs

First Post
While it does seem like a bit of retcon, it makes sense that something like that happened. Also, it worked better for Elan's "arc" to not know why Varsuvius was acting weird, or at least, for V's motivation to not be clearly stated, making V less sympathetic at the time. Similar to the party not knowing about the motivator for Haley's greed, etc.

Also, the getting spells back without sleeping thing is something that needed to be explained (and an elf wizard would know that "rule" because he'd still have to rest 4 hours in addition to the trancing anyway)

Intrope

First Post
Survivor's Guilt? Boy, that makes an incredible amount of sense out of V's actions. I'd have to assume that Rich planned that all along--and has been stringing us along masterfully! Of course, who would V have told? Haley is the only party member V seems close to. And doubling V's distress with a total inability to magically contact Haley, and we have a character heading straight for a colossal wreck.

Merkuri

Explorer
What, s/he didn't have a crossbow?

It probably would've made him visible. If I recall, the spell was just "invisibility" not any of the improved varieties.

And no matter what level V is, he probably wouldn't have lasted very long at all against an entire army of hobgoblins with no spells and just a crossbow. Maybe he'd take one or two out, but that wouldn't have made any sort of dent. Running away to living to fight another day was the smartest thing to do for V.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads