• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

oots 639

Xyxox

Hero
Wouldn't it be awesome if the reign of dragon destruction continues into next strip... and we suddenly find out that someone very close to V has a little black dragon blood in his/her distant past? ;)

Like maybe V's mate, and thus V's children?

I noticed a lot of Black Dragons with green eyes and/or wings.

On top of that, V. has purple hair and there were a lot of black dragons with purple eyes and/or wings, too.

Last edited:

SolitonMan

Explorer
As I read through this strip I found myself recollecting the old Doctor Who (Tom Baker era) story arc, "Genesis of the Daleks". The Doctor is transported to Skaro as Davros is just creating the first of the Daleks, with the intended mission to stop him before he gets started. The Doctor actually reaches a point where he could destroy all the Daleks and end the threat right then and there.

But he stops himself and starts reflecting on the consequences. One of the things that he realized that is relevant to this thread is that while the Daleks were evil, not everything that resulted from their existence was evil. For example, many species that would otherwise have been hostile to each other ended up allying and fighting against the Daleks and becoming friends.

In the case of V commiting familicide, the larger consequences are unforeseeable for the world, but clearly V was acting in a purely selfish manner - family protection notwithstanding. With that much raw arcane power, V could simply have made all members of his/her family permanently imperceivable to the dragon's kin (e.g. - mind blank and superior invisibility and nondetection, etc.) instead of slaying all the kin. That's just one of what I'm sure are hundreds of options available to such a powerful arcane caster.

DEFINITELY looking forward to what happens next! :)

Ambrus

Explorer
With that much raw arcane power, V could simply have made all members of his/her family permanently imperceivable to the dragon's kin (e.g. - mind blank and superior invisibility and nondetection, etc.) instead of slaying all the kin.

No good. The demonic trio stated that none of the magical effects cast during the soul splice would persist once it ended, save that creatures killed would remain dead. So no permanent spell effects. But killing any and all black dragons? That's kosher. :devil:

SolitonMan

Explorer
No good. The demonic trio stated that none of the magical effects cast during the soul splice would persist once it ended, save that creatures killed would remain dead. So no permanent spell effects. But killing any and all black dragons? That's kosher. :devil:

Yep, you're right, I'd forgotten that caveat. So what you'd need is something with an instantaneous duration, right? That way the effect would be "done" before the splice ends.

Akaiku

First Post
Epic spells take forever to develop. Most take forever to cast as well. Thusly, arcane power from evil sources will only have truly stupendously evil spells available.

Plus, this is dnd. V can just, after the splice is done, go get atonement cast by some random cleric and do some silly quest like save the universe from the snarl and call it neutral.

Kaodi

Hero
Well, other than bringing in Tiamat, which would be pretty crazy, there is always the option of bringing in a still living ancestor who is just too big and nasty even for the epic spell to take out. Though I kind of think that may be unlikely, because it would just be repeating the original scenario.

No, what would be better is if some of those black dragons V just killed were doing something useful or important that is now not being done, hehehe...

hamishspence

Adventurer
Evil dragons

Evil dragons can be redeemed. MM2: Crystal dragons raisng white dragons, and redeeming some of them. Dragon magazine- Neutral green dragon. Myth Drannor- Good Red/blue dragon hybrid.

Half-dragons- the sample Half-black dragon in MM is "Often Chaotic evil". Suggesting that half-dragons are, in fact, Often X alignment, not Always X.

And Evil dragons in D&D fiction and sourcebooks aren't always utterly destructive: The Minstrel Wyrm, in Dragons of Faerun- fairly friendly LE blue dragon. Mist, in Azure Bonds.

Derren

Hero
Thats one huge karmic backlash incoming.
Its imo pretty likely that Vs mate & children are in some way related to the dragon. Its just fitting.

And I disagree that he killed all black dragons. The original dragon was an ancient one who, during her lifetime could sire quite a few children who by now had children of their own etc.

So, we have V who is now utterly evil and probably soon a dead wife and children. After all I still think that each of the 3 limitations will play a role in this story (no XP gain, no divine spells, duration ends).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads