OotS #653

IceFractal

First Post
Well, the rock could have been in a bag of holding or glove of storing, Xykon pulls it out, then just falls while holding it. Or even has a Contingent Telekinesis to hurl it. Sure, it's a bit of setup, but not unreasonable for an epic Lich with too much time on his hands, and a fondness for brute force.

Ambrus

Explorer
Remember the raven?

Knowing how Rich likes to surprise us with unexpected twists, I wonder if it's occurred to anyone that V might be saved from Xykon's wrath by his/her long absent/forgotten familiar. :p

malraux

First Post
Well, the rock could have been in a bag of holding or glove of storing, Xykon pulls it out, then just falls while holding it. Or even has a Contingent Telekinesis to hurl it. Sure, it's a bit of setup, but not unreasonable for an epic Lich with too much time on his hands, and a fondness for brute force.

In the previous comic, the wall, and presumably the ceiling, of the room gets pretty beat up from the magical trap that was triggered when V cast her first spell. So I would guess that Xykon didn't so much as lift the boulder as guide an already loosened section of roof onto V.

orsal

LEW Judge
Well, if V's mate used a gender-specific pronoun to refer to V, then I think that would be definitive.

*If* that happened, yeah, it might be taken as definitive. That's someone who probably does know. (Although not certain: see the play M. Butterfly, by David Henry Hwang, based on a true story.)

However, that's unlikely to happen, as Elven seems to favour gender-neutral language.

Where's this going?

Prediction: Vaarsuvius is imprisoned next to O-Chuul. She sees the folly of her arrogance and the worthlessness of arcane magic and becomes a cleric of O-Chuul's religion. They make an escape with the Monster in the Dark, and V eventually becomes a Mystic Theurge. Everything goes on for another 300 strips, until everyone's forgotten about the debt V owes. Then, at the last possible moment, when victory seems but a hair's breadth away, the demons come calling, and V releases the Snarl.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!

Remove ads