• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS #656 Is Up

Urbannen

First Post
Hmm. I figured the maximized lightning bolt must have killed O-Chul, but based on everything, I guess that he has been dropped to between 1 and -10 hp. He may have made his save vs. the lightning bolt, but meteor swarm is four touch attacks, all of which seem to have hit, each for 8d6 points of damage (2d6 bludgeoning + 6d6 fire), a grand total of 32d6 points of potential damage, which makes on average 112 points of damage! The maximized lightning bolt would have done 60 points of damage with no save, 30 with a save. O-Chul almost certainly made his save vs. the Disintegrate spell, which then would have done 5d6 points of damage (average 17.5 points of damage).

What level is O-Chul anyway? If he is 12th level and has a Con of 18 (I think we have to assume it's at least that much), his average hit points would be 118.5. (Fighters and Paladins both have 10d6 hit die, 1st level 10 + 11x5.5 average roll + 4x12 Con).

Average damage so far: Disintegrate 17.5 + Meteor Swarm 112 points + Maximized Lightning Bolt exactly 30 or exactly 60: 159.5 hit points of damage or 189.5 hit points of damage.

It is hard to imagine how he could still be alive at this point. The spread on the Meteor Swarm damage is so wide that it could have been a lot less than 112 damage, and O-Chul must have made his save vs. the maximized lightning bolt, which would probably be a hard save for him to make.

Even if he were 15th level (which I doubt, since that is higher than the Order's apparent level) and had a CON of 20, he should still be dead, on average.

He is probably unconscious and dying for dramatic effect.

fireinthedust

Explorer
I'm finding it funny that someone in OotS is invisible, and still wearing all their clothes!!! Meh, likely just an Elan thing, but still.

Y'know, it'd be funny to have a game where the PCs are fighting a lich, and his phylactery is an amulet one of them is wearing. It'd be the best protected item in the game if it had a god enough bonus that the mage (or whoever) couldn't get hurt by, say, ongoing damage effects that could destroy a phylactery (rust monsters, acid, etc.).

What character class would be the best to carry something like that?

I say Rogue, as they're stealthy and move around alot, and unlike the Mage they tend to get ignored at range (rather than "gang up on the mage!")

Quartz

Hero
but meteor swarm is four touch attacks, all of which seem to have hit, each for 8d6 points of damage (2d6 bludgeoning + 6d6 fire), a grand total of 32d6 points of potential damage, which makes on average 112 points of damage!

In the 4th panel we only see two of them hit. So he gets 16d6 with no save and 12d6 with a save. So that's 56 + 21 (assuming he makes both his saves) or 77 in all. Plus 30 from the lightning bolt, again assuming he makes his save, for a total of 107 damage.

frankthedm

First Post
In the 4th panel we only see two of them hit. So he gets 16d6 with no save and 12d6 with a save. So that's 56 + 21 (assuming he makes both his saves) or 77 in all. Plus 30 from the lightning bolt, again assuming he makes his save, for a total of 107 damage.
3 hit, with the 4th possibly obscured on the other side of ochul's face. #3 is drawn dimmer to represent it is toward the back of the cluster from the viewer's angle.

Urbannen

First Post
Yes, there are four streams of fire, and the ball attached to one of them is obscured by the one closer to the "audience." If they hadn't all hit, then there would be one or more explosions of fire in O-Chul's vicinity.

And I think we've all learned by now that just as Xykon is never hit by touch attacks, his touch attacks also never fail to hit.

Urbannen

First Post
No, Rich plays by the book. I have information that he rolls out saving throws and damage rolls and incorporates the random results into the strip. He likes to do that because it keeps the strip fresh and moving in different directions.

For instance, in his original draft of the meta-plot, Roy did not get killed by Xykon. Unfortunately, the way Rich rolled it, Roy ended up dying. He's been trying to pull it back together ever since.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads