• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OotS #661 is up!

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I'm not sure the MitD did anything there.

Usually, when an OotS character casts a spell, they speak its name. Is there a spell called Escape that teleports other people?

Technically, they can't teleport. Unless they somehow acquired a new epic level caster.

I suppose they could have both been summoned, but it seems highly unlikely that something would summon both of them. The guys in the lower planes wouldn't summon a paladin that stubborn (I don't think they could due to alignment anyway). The 12 gods can't interpose themselves on the elf, and the other gods can't act in those lands.

mhensley

First Post
I don't think the MitD did it. Xykon knows what it is and if it was capable of doing wishes, he would have tricked it into doing one for him before this.

I believe it to be a psionic manifester of some kind.

It occurs to me that Redcloak, who (it's implied) knows what the MitD is, says he spent a long time trying to figure out if they were even using psionics in this campaign. Which he would know, if MitD were a psionic monster.

So I'm thinking not.

mhensley

First Post
I just found out what the MitD is.

funny-pictures-you-have-a-very-dangerous-box.jpg

Last edited:

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
So, how many people are now searching for a monster that can teleport other people without going itself?

Did that before I came here. I was hoping someone figured it out already. Oh well.

Someone on the official boards pointed out this obvious-in-retrospect foreshadowing: first panel.

Dang! good catch.

I have to confess, even after 30 years of playing D&D I haven't the first clue. But I'm having a lot of fun reading the speculation, though, and can't wait for someone to come up with the answer.

I think I have a very good idea. Many moons ago I ran an exalted game. I gave the players a little friend. It was a jelly fish looking creature that attached itself to the shoulder of one of the players. It had 2 purposes: 1) comic relief and 2) Oh Crap moments.

It was comic relief by being both incredibly smart and incredibly dumb at the same time. It called the player that it attached itself to "Mommy" despite both the player and character being male. It sang incredibly silly songs while the players walked from location to location. It slept through most combats.

But then one time the players faced off against a demon. The encounter was suppose to be cake walk. Rolls went bad. Very bad. The demon's stated goal was to possess a particular player. Before it could, I had shoulder jellyfish creature "eat" the demon.

I think MiTD is/was something from Rich's game to get the players out of a jam. But instead of having it with the PCs int he comic, he placed it with the NPCs. This lessens confusion as to who is and is not a PC. When Rich used it in his home game, he probably had no clue what it could do. I imagine he now knows the full extent of its power.

Dausuul

Legend
I think MiTD is/was something from Rich's game to get the players out of a jam. But instead of having it with the PCs int he comic, he placed it with the NPCs. This lessens confusion as to who is and is not a PC. When Rich used it in his home game, he probably had no clue what it could do. I imagine he now knows the full extent of its power.

Rich has stated that it is possible for readers to guess what it is, and very strongly implied that it was something "somebody else made up." That rules out this theory.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I'm not sure the MitD did anything there.

Usually, when an OotS character casts a spell, they speak its name. Is there a spell called Escape that teleports other people?

I can't think of one.

It's entirely possible that the MitD did nothing and that him speaking while the other two teleported was just a coincidence.

Check out the MitD's eyes as it says "escape" in the last panel of the penultimate row. It's clearly doing something -- maybe an SLA? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads