Oots 687

Derren

Hero
Belkar makes an interesting philosophical point about the typical D&D random encounter...

Fully agreed. But its not limited to random encounters. In a game where one of the major objectives is to kill others, the morality of such actions very often gets ignored with an explanation similar to what Belkar states.

RefinedBean

First Post
Fully agreed. But its not limited to random encounters. In a game where one of the major objectives is to kill others, the morality of such actions very often gets ignored with an explanation similar to what Belkar states.

Yep! One of the funniest things about D&D.

Top Reasons to Murder Someone in D&D:

1. My god(s) told me to!
2. You're different from us! You don't even speak COMMON!
3. You've been doing things that I disagree with!
4. You have something I want/need!

or any combination thereof. I don't know how adventurers manage to stay so happy and focused, after all that murder.

Derren

Hero

1. My god(s) told me to!

or any combination thereof. I don't know how adventurers manage to stay so happy and focused, after all that murder.

5. They are no playable race and have a monster entry.
6. (Variant to 1) My questgiver told me to.

1. My god(s) told me to!

That's different from IRL how?

RefinedBean

First Post
That's different from IRL how?

It's NOT! That's the hilarious thing. :)

Example:

A group of young people have been given guidance by both their god directly and the leaders of their community to journey across the ocean and destroy an evil empire, any way they can. "The world will be in peril, and evil will claim it if you fail," they've been told. Readying their weapons, they set off, making plans, content in their faith and the fact that they KNOW what they're doing is good and right.

Now, am I describing adventurers? Or am I describing a terrorist cell?

Remove ads