D&D 4E Open Design / Wolfgang Baur to do a 4E Open Design Adventure

Admiral Caine

First Post
Jack99 said:
Ah, so I could (possibly) pay $30 dollars in support and become a patron, and then buy a non-signed copy for another $20-$30 (guesstimate)? That does sound a tad more interesting.

Yes... I would have to check with him first, I'm only a volunteer shill, but that is what he has done in the past. I've never ordered a print copy myself, but as I recall he can usually get a good deal from Lulu.

In fact... I will check on that now.

invokethehojo

First Post
So if I don't want to go to the gencon table but I want the print copy can't I just donate #30, then buy the print edition when it's published for the price tag (which I'm sure will be less than $70) and save the difference?

Also, before I buy into something like this I would like to see some of his other adventures (I'm kinda picky) to see if I like his style. Can anyone tell me what else he's written or where I might them?

Last edited:

Admiral Caine

First Post
invokethehojo said:
So if I don't want to go to the gencon table but I want the print copy can't I just donate #30, then buy the print edition when it's published for the price tag (which I'm sure will be less than $70) and save the difference?

Also, before I buy into something like this I would like to see some of his other adventures (I'm kinda picky) to see if I like his style. Can anyone tell me what else he's written or where I might them?

Well, he is the former Editor of Dragon Magazine. :D I think that gives him a little bit of street cred right there. However, don't take that as a put down, once upon a time I had never heard of him either! It's never too late to get to know him.

But here is a link to his list of previous publications...

http://wolfgangbaur.com/about/bookshelf.aspx

Erekose13

Explorer
As Caine mentioned past patrons of the Open Design projects can purchase a print version through Lulu for the base price it costs Wolfgang to put it up there (he doesn't mark it up).

I've been a patron of Open Design since the end of OD2 (Shadowcrag) and highly recommend it as an invaluable introspective into the industry. The patron discussion and design essays are very valuable in understanding the process of a veteran game designer. Patrons in the past have also had the ability to suggest things, including sometimes NPCs, encounters, or monsters for consideration, as well as the ability to participate in Playtesting. Patrons for past projects have also had the ability to suggest future projects as well.

Rechan

Adventurer
I wonder how much influence a patron has on the process. Sure, just writing comments like "I dislike this" "This could run smoother" "The map is a little small here, maybe the room can be bigger" is one thing. But giving suggestions about the plot, NPCs, monsters, etc is more valuable to me than just refinement and constructive criticism.

Monkey King

Explorer
Rechan said:
I wonder how much influence a patron has on the process. Sure, just writing comments like "I dislike this" "This could run smoother" "The map is a little small here, maybe the room can be bigger" is one thing. But giving suggestions about the plot, NPCs, monsters, etc is more valuable to me than just refinement and constructive criticism.

Patrons have a TON of influence, especially in the early stages of the outline and early drafts. Lots of plot suggestions, monster ideas, and location/encounter wishes have become part of earlier Open Designs.

I've been really pleased with the thoughtful critique and the smart, smart choices that patrons have put forward. The polls and Q&A often generate fixes over the course of a conversation, or at least a stronger description of why the design might do A rather than B.

Rechan

Adventurer
Ah, the official project gets underway. I might go after this, especially since it gives you access to previous projects.

Monkey King

Explorer
The project wrapping up right now, Blood of the Gorgon, is quite a winner. I think Eberron fans in particular will get a kick out of the plotting and mayhem.

"The Red Maiden awaits all heroes, her blood is the blood of victory."

Remove ads