Operation: Power Level Gary

Wik

First Post
In another thread, there is a link to an old post of Gary Gygax's (read as: The Late Great Father of the Game), and some people had been giving him XP - the rationale being that Gary should not be some low-level newb.

After all, if the XP system existed while Gary was still alive, I think we all know he'd be raking in the XP dough. And personally, I want to see Gary as the highest-levelled guy on this site. Right now, he's just third level... I mean, come on, people. He's barely a bugbear!

So I think it's time to Power-Level Gary. All you need to do is click on one of the links below, and give him XP. Which is pretty simple.

Gary on Comp Copies
Mule Love
D&D equals "Deaf and Dumb"

Get to work, EN World!

Wik

First Post
For those who haven't been here a while, Gary used to post here under the screen name "Col. Pladoh", answering all sorts of questions we had about D&D, and, well, everything else. He truly was a gentleman and a scholar, even once taking time off from his anniversary to walk our mods through a classic old-school adventure that is still jealously talked about today.

My favourite part of that incident, of course, is Rel telling Diaglo what they were about to do, and that Diaglo wasn't invited. Comedy gold, that. :)

Wik

First Post
Now that I think about it a bit more, if anyone has any great "Gary" threads or posts, this would be the place to post them. It'd be nice to sort of spread the XP around a bit among a couple of different posts, rather than just have one huge memorial post. Because, really, this isn't a memorial - that's been done already, in much more meaningful ways.

Plus, it'd be kind of neat to just have a repository of everyone's favourite memories of Gary on ENWorld in one place.

I'm kind of tempted to go through his posts and find his response to me, where he spoke about just how beautiful he found my little Island in the pacific. :)

JeffB

Legend
Wouldn't Morrus or someone else with similar "power" be able to bestow the appropriate level/title without going through the business of levelling him up? (although, on second thought, Gary never was a fan for the Monty Haul type game ;) )

I had a great sig quote from Gary that I used for a long time when there was some back and forth between myself, him, and others discussing "rules intensive D&D play" (i.e. the D&D edition current at the time) I have not put it back because I guess now you have to sub to have a sig- I cannot change it for some reason.

at any rate it was:

"Maybe I'm just getting too old to want to have to deal with a heap o' rules and the steaming heap o' rules lawyers who go with them."

Remove ads