D&D 5E Opinions on The Rise of Tiamat?

painted_klown

First Post
Hello all,

I am currently running my group through the LMoP adventure, and they're all dead set on moving to HoDTQ next, in fact, one of my players even bought the book and gave it to me to run when we're ready. :cool:

I have read quite a bit about HoTDQ and am aware of it's detractors, but I don't see as much online chatter in regards to TRot. I assume it's because it's part 2 of HoTDQ and after playing through that, they decided to not continue on to the second half. However, my players are REALLY excited about getting to roll up their own characters and take them through a lifetime of adventuring.

In light of this, I picked up TRoT over the weekend, and plan to run HoTDQ and it, back to back.
This is a group new to RPGs in general (myself included).

Good adevnture? Easy to run? Fun?

I would like to know the good, bad, ugly, and everything in between.

What say you?

Thanks! :)

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Opinion on RoT seems to be a bit more positive than toward HotDQ. With the ironic result that there aren't as many threads with ideas on how to run it.

I'm about to start running HotDQ in a few weeks myself (also at my players' request), and I'd love to trade tips.

Zaran

Adventurer
I think the less threads about Rise of the Laundromat are because people stopped with Hoard of the Dairy Queen. It's what my group did.

Tommy Brownell

First Post
Hello all,

I am currently running my group through the LMoP adventure, and they're all dead set on moving to HoDTQ next, in fact, one of my players even bought the book and gave it to me to run when we're ready. :cool:

I have read quite a bit about HoTDQ and am aware of it's detractors, but I don't see as much online chatter in regards to TRot. I assume it's because it's part 2 of HoTDQ and after playing through that, they decided to not continue on to the second half. However, my players are REALLY excited about getting to roll up their own characters and take them through a lifetime of adventuring.

In light of this, I picked up TRoT over the weekend, and plan to run HoTDQ and it, back to back.
This is a group new to RPGs in general (myself included).

Good adevnture? Easy to run? Fun?

I would like to know the good, bad, ugly, and everything in between.

What say you?

Thanks! :)

I am just about to start this and I am chomping at the bit, because I loooooooove the "Council Scorecard" and the various means of affecting the support the group has. My players just took some sound beatings coming through Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and I'm looking forward to how they react with all eyes on them as the final push against The Cult begins.

The only "bad" I can see is that if you are not using Milestone awards, your group will likely be woefully under level for Tiamat (unless you a) offer up lots of roleplaying awards or b) throw in your own extra adventures and encounters to supplement it).

The only "bad" I can see is that if you are not using Milestone awards, your group will likely be woefully under level for Tiamat (unless you a) offer up lots of roleplaying awards or b) throw in your own extra adventures and encounters to supplement it).

Or (c) bring some of those friendly chromatic^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h metallic dragons inside for the climactic battle instead of letting them get in pointless fights with the evil dragons outside.

Last edited:

Tommy Brownell

First Post
As a DM, I would probably just have the evil dragons then jump the good dragons from behind, then.

The White Dragons might be going "I can't believe they were stupid enough not to bring dragons with them", but the Reds and Blues are going "Oooooooooh, crap."

Tommy Brownell

First Post
Maybe--but I've also seen people say RoT "makes HotDQ look better in retrospect."

I would agree with that. My biggest complaint is that I wish I did have the whole campaign in hand at the very beginning, but as it turns out, we were only about halfway through Hoard when Rise came out, so I was able to go ahead and do a lot more foreshadowing.

As a DM, I would probably just have the evil dragons then jump the good dragons from behind, then.

You mean, if the PCs bring all the friendly dragons inside with them? Dragon melee! Now you get to run a combat between dozens (possibly hundreds) of friendly metallic dragons forted up inside Tiamat's temple, trying to hold the entrance long enough to eradicate Tiamat's summoners and then the weakened Tiamat herself. Sounds fun but complicated.

Or, you could just bring a couple of friendly dragons with you on your critical mission, accept slightly higher casualties in the abstracted aerial melee outside, and call it a win.

Remove ads