Opinions sought: Much younger players?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, I have to say I think you handled it perfectly, and made sure everyone clearly knew who was making the decision, ie, the kid's mother.

I play in a 42,38,32 group now and I have to admit adding a 16 or so year old would feel funny. I mean, I teach English to 16 year olds and that is ALL the interaction I generally desire with them.

But I am sure our group could adjust, but it would be up to the 16 year olds to be responsible gamers. They would need to play as much as we do, and not be canceling all the time. But if they can keep up with everyone, why not.

But i admit I would be leery of it and it would be a major adjustment.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I agree you handled this supremely... by the book, in fact. I think your GF is over-reacting a little; I can understand why, but it doesn't make her right.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
As others have said, if the parents are OK with it, then there's nothing improper about it.

Of course, this doesn't mean that it will work great... gaming is a social activity and whether the social interaction between your group and those two kids can work depends on a lot of specific factors.

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
Younger players are fine (like your nephew or son or daughter). Younger players you do not know well is a different matter.

I really hate to sound lawsuit-happy (but hey, this is a country that loves litigation). I would not prevent them from playing but at the same time I would be very cautious about it. The last thing you need in your life is to have an underaged girl (or boy) accusing you of something.

I always encourage new people to play D&D but this is a situation that I would approach VERY carefully. Most likely the situation is harmless and nothing bad will come of it. But keep an eye out for anything strange.

Blastin

First Post
Have to agree with most of the above. If the mom is cool with it and the other players are cool with it, try it out.
That said, the mention of recording the sessions someone made above might not be a bad idea either. Tell the mom that you plan on making a recording of the sessions that the kids are involved in and that she can review any and all of them any time she wants, and make sure that the kids know too. It sounds weird to do this, but working in the prison system and medicine, I have seen ALL kinds of lawsuits/criminal charges over stuff that any sane person would question. Plus, if everyone knows the sessions are being recorded, it will cut out most of the questionable possibilities before they happen.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Granted, as you are a known D&D player, if this girl runs away from home your place will be the first one they rip apart, looking for body parts. :D

Brazeku

First Post
I don't know, the idea of recording sessions is really weird and implies a serious lack of trust which will probably damage the game.

"I'm recording our sessions just in case you try and call me a child molester"
"Oh that's cool."

NOT GONNA HAPPEN

Rel

Liquid Awesome
My take on it is it's fine to let them play as long as it doesn't bother YOU or the rest of the group. You say that you can dial back the ribaldry by 30% and that's dandy. But do you WANT to dial back the ribaldry by 30%?

I can and have gamed with a lot of younger folks at the Game Days and as a matter of fact, my 6 year old daughter played with a group of us yesterday when we were playtesting AdamantineAngel's game that he plans on running. And I will say that most of those experiences have been very positive. In fact, our Game Days have been going on so long that a couple of young guys who started gaming at those when they were 14 are now going off to college! (Damn I'm getting old!)

But those are not my regular weekly session with my buddies who are my peers where we cuss and bitch and tell dirty jokes. I wouldn't really want to have to curtail that for the sake of letting some 16 year olds join the group.

solkan_uk

First Post
As far as I'm concerned, 16 is old enough to do what they please. I wouldn't be concerned about my language with people who are old enough to have sex (legally, at least where I live - not sure about the American legalities).

I play in two groups, in one, we have 18 to near 50 (though I'm not sure of the exact ages), in the other we're from 16-26 - neither group can be at all thought to tone themselves back.

That said, I'm fairly restrained in any case, even if those I play with aren't and personally I'd let the young 'uns set the tone their comfortable at.

Remove ads