Optimal Urban Ranger Build

roguerouge

First Post
Looking to plan ahead for my character, a human urban ranger 2/fighter 1. Basically, his combat role is to be one of the grunts, slugging it out while the flankers and spellcasters do their thing. He's literally a cop when he's not with the party.

The relevant homebrew things are the use of weapon type proficiencies rather than the core weapon proficiencies and that at first level, if you take a flaw, you get an additional feat. (So taking a level as a fighter gave him a host of additional weapon options, including a proficiency in the exotic double weapons.) I'm hoping for suggestions on how to best build it from here:

Class Features, Flaws, and Feats:
Human Bonus Feat: Toughness
Level 1 Feat: Power Attack
Flaw: Shaky (-2 ranged attacks)
Bonus Feat: Improved Unarmed Attack
Urban Ranger 1 Feature: Urban Tracking
Urban Ranger 1 Feature: Favored Enemy: Human
Urban Ranger 2 Feature: Combat Style: 2 Weapon Fighting
Fighter 1 Bonus Feat: Weapon Focus: Exotic Double Weapons
Level 3 Feat: Improved Toughness

Now, when designing the character, I didn't know that I was heading into an undead-centered BBEG campaign. So, the next favored enemy will be undead.

My thoughts were to go for favored power attack (splatbook X), nemesis (Tome of Good Guys), and improved favored enemies (splatbook Y).

Any other classes or feats to think about? Any ideas about distribution of character levels?

Thanks for your time and consideration...

hanniball

First Post
Would you be trying to focus entirely on Undead Hunting? There is the Hunter of the Dead Prc from Complete Warrior, but that requires you to be able to Turn undead so you'd probably want Paladin 4 or Cleric 1.

There's also the Bloodhound Prc from Complete Adventurer if you're interested in the bounty hunter archetype. You can qualify with Rgr 3/Ftr 1.

Where would you like to take the character?

Darklone

Like Hannibal said, take one level cleric and go ranger with the rest. Pick all anti-undead divine feats that you can get.

roguerouge

First Post
hunter of the dead

I don't own Complete Warrior, but borrow it when I'm at the game. What does Hunter of the Dead get you that's worth quadruple classing?

AbeTheGnome

First Post
when i played an urban ranger, my DM and i cma eup with a hybrid PrC by combining aspects of the Bloodhound (CAdv) and the Justicar (CWar). he turned out to be something of a badass.

Darklone

roguerouge said:
I don't own Complete Warrior, but borrow it when I'm at the game. What does Hunter of the Dead get you that's worth quadruple classing?
Wis bonus to all saves against undeads spells and abilities, a nifty ability that kills undeads killed by spells or melee forever, some turning boosts and Pos Energy Burst.

Actually, I am not impressed.

Feats: Sacred Vengeance CW: Free action, 1 turn attempt for 2d6 damage vs undeads to melee attacks for one round. No prerequisites except for turn undead. Quite impressive for a TWF Ranger/Clr1.

Remove ads