Optimization: Are "options" a trap?

Belen

Adventurer
Do the rules and the edition support the following?

Powergaming: I am "optimizing" my character by taking 5 different classes, but it is okay because I have a theme. I have noticed that a lot of people created a character as a set of abilities rather than...well...a person.

Player versus GM: The GM tells a person that they cannot do that. The player responds by quoting the latest rulebook. I know that rule zero is in place, but you have to pick and choose the material and you may approve something for one person and say no to the next. There is more than a little conflict here and it's like a GM is stuck in a hot spot no matter what choice he makes.

Burnout: Is it just me or does this seem like a greater issue than in the past? It almost feels like the industry supports the players above the GMs. To compete (or make the game challenging), a GM has to keep up with the same information as the players. However, the players keep track of one character and optimize the heck out of them, while a GM must do this over and over again to keep up.

So is optimization a trap? What can we do to make things less complicated while keeping within the framework of the game?

What do you, as GMs, do to avoid some of the issues above?

Just wondering how other people find their happy place.

Dave

Malk

First Post
Of course. The new eddition suppurts these things, because they allow you to play any sort of game you want, including powergamed ones if thats what you like, some people do. The rules also allow you to play high drama truly rewarding and satisfying games, if thats what you like. As far as DM vs Player situations, you really cant blame that on any rules system. Players get very caught up in their charectars, and when the judge of any game makes a call that they think is unfair, they will take issue (mostly) In DND it just so happens that the unfair call will probalbly be the DM deviating from the rules (but not always) and finaly, there are just some onry people out there who love to argue, and thats not wotc's fault.

diaglo

Adventurer
yes, options are a trap.

but mostly for those waiting for the next shoe to fall. they wait to include the latest rule, book, article, or publisher to spruce up their game. which means changing some other rule, book, article, or publisher to "balance" or fit the new thing into the campaign.

in the very distant past, things didn't come out fast and furious. so you had time to adjust or work something in with moderation.

and then 2ed hit... :eek:

and the trend has continued.

gamers need to know when to say when.

Thresher

First Post
Do the rules and the edition support the following?
The rules and the editions are there to move merchandise, however it is completely your choice to use whatever is between the covers. Take what you want and leave the rest or houserule.

1: Anybody that needs to justify some combination of a half dozen PC classes and PRC's as being a theme, regardless of what organic paths they could have taken to suit the theme of the campaign due to the events that happen in the game.
Is bullsh**ing plain and simple, unless there are some extreamly extenuating circumstances or theyre playing a 1 on 1 with the GM.
That said, there is nothing wrong with having an effective character or a powerful character, after all we're playing hero's, not office jobs and its nice to be able to kick the junk out of people you wouldnt normally be able to do. The problem starts when they go ahead of their expected CR and everyone else in the group, as it is a group game and some consideration for everyone else is at the very least common courtesy.

2: Yeah, its an odd sort of video-game mentality where people much get the power-up and win the game. Way I figure it, Ive been playing computer games since about 1985 and playing RPG's since 1990 so Ive got a bit of a handle on how achieve results in either game and find it 'interesting' to see the mentality switch between the 2 genres.
What I must stress though is that by being a GM you must have the respect of those youre running for otherwise they revert back to schoolyard bullies who pick on someone to get a result/rise out of them.
Do not be afraid to say "Not in this game, maybe the next one."
Also, dont be afraid to say yes once in awhile and then drop them in the crap later and watch them sink if they think theyre so damn hardcore.
In short, get some guts and tell people to pissoff once in awhile.

3: Burnout happens in every system, but I share your opinion that the current DnD game loves its PC's more then the GM. Well, their survivability is a welcome relief compared to older systems but I think running encounters is usually a case of planning ahead.
All too often people replace brute force for something tactical and challenging that works much better, and as a GM you are afforded the luxury of being able to call in for 'reinforcements' at any time you choose.
Think of it as a bowl of cereal with too much milk.
If theyre lapping it up, chuck something else in the bowl to give them to chew on.

My happy place is one of being a bloody fisted tyrant who lies, cheats and has the fear and loathing of anyone at the table. Why, because youre non-political, your are the characters life, sometimes shi**y things happen in life and as a GM, its your job to make them happen. :D

Belen

Adventurer
Diaglo- just remember that you are sure to have a kid just like you.

And he'll say:

"3D&D is the only true version of the game."

Remove ads