Optimized Build Request Thread - ENWorld Version

Keldin

First Post
So, with that out of the way, challenge me! I'm bored.

Okay. This is actually for Pathfinder, but the DM allows quite a bit of D&D background in it. So... give me the ultimate magic item creator. Alternatively, the ultimate aquatic druid. (These are two kinds of characters I'm currently playing, and I'd like to hear other's thoughts.)

Last edited:

relytdan

First Post
well I am attempting to steer clear of posting the race/templates as I think its not really needed, and with level buyback the LA that is taken is taken care of via buyback, abilities - to say they are enough to qualify for any feat needing a 19 by level 12, well mostly chosen the classes due to the limited group size -hense why gestalt is allowed - so that I could be an effective melee, have some decent casting as well as extra support from animals for various reasons. feat tree TWF-GTWF, mounted combat are given several dragon hunting style feats from dracomicon are planned. - sorry I can not get to much more detailed for this.

well I am attempting to steer clear of posting the race/templates as I think its not really needed, and with level buyback the LA that is taken is taken care of via buyback, abilities - to say they are enough to qualify for any feat needing a 19 by level 12, well mostly chosen the classes due to the limited group size -hense why gestalt is allowed - so that I could be an effective melee, have some decent casting as well as extra support from animals for various reasons. feat tree TWF-GTWF, mounted combat are given several dragon hunting style feats from dracomicon are planned. - sorry I can not get to much more detailed for this.

You'll want to read the edit I added. Please include race and other stats because yes, those are meaningful. Especially if you've got a racial ability that the build needs, which you've implied there is with your reply to my suggestion of going Dragonborn. Finding stuff that has synergy with your race can also be quite helpful.

Even if you get TWF and ITWF for free, that alone does not make the style a viable option compared to other possibilities. Even Favored Enemy doesn't add enough to make it viable. I'd probably stick with a 2-hander and then go with the archery style just in case you can't close in on your opponents. Going with a two-handed weapon could also allow you to make great use of the Favored Power Attack feat.

If you absolutely must use TWF, there is the Two-Weapon Pounce feat which will allow you to attack with both weapons on a charge without needing the actual pounce ability. Combine this with a couple lances and you can deal some nice damage.

But don't bother with tempest to get extra accuracy. You'd be able to get more than that by taking fighter levels and getting the Melee Weapon Mastery feat. Mathematically, tempest will not work for you like you want it to here. The return on the investment of feats and levels is not worthwhile.

Last edited:

relytdan

First Post
fine- Race/ templates planned : Fire Elf (phb 16) (UA p17); Feral (SS 115); Sapphire Half-Dragon (mm 146) (mm2 84), Racial abilities: Str +12, Dex +0, Con +2, Int +0, Wis +2, Cha +0 ;
Final Attributes: Str 31, Dex 19, Con 22, Int 19, Wis 16, Cha 17 ; Feats that I am looking into - Track, Combat expertise, Dodge, Draconic Heritage, EWP scimitar, TWF, Endurance, Weapon Focus scimitar, Mounted combat, Natural bond, Spring attack, ITWF, Mobility, Power attack, Skill focus Ride & Handle animal, Dragonfoe, Dragonbane, Dragondoom; several feats come from class bonuses others from levels, items and flaws ; weapons to be considered, Composite longbow (str rating), Scimitar, Morningstar or other Bludeoning & Dagger

Am I to assume you're able to do a different buyoff from the standard? Both feral and half-dragon are typically inherited templates, thus you'd be at LA+4 which can't be fully bought off before level 20 as the table on UA page 18 shows.

There have been enough misunderstandings on how Feral works over the years that I have to ask: Are you getting Improved Grab, Pounce, and the other abilities in that first table? Technically-speaking you wouldn't since it says in the preceding paragraph that it's monster HD that determine those, not class HD, which means you wouldn't get them. If you can get pounce though, your enemy is in for a world of hurt.

Assuming you can buy it all off to get 20 levels, you're going to have a feat crunch and won't be able to take all of them. As mentioned, I recommend dropping dodge, mobility, and spring attack since they won't even be useful to you when you're on a mount.

Can any of those class levels be changed? You're going to run into issues trying to split your feats every which way to get prerequisites for the various prestige classes you've got there, but you don't have to do that.

If you're going for Mounted Combat and then going into Ride-By Attack and Spirited Charge, there are several things you can do to power up the charge. Using a lance will get you more damage since it specifically deals more when mounted. Taking Power Attack and then taking Shock Trooper and Favored Power Attack will further increase your damage at no loss to accuracy on a charge. Rangers have a spell in the Spell Compendium on page 176 called Rhino's Rush that will double the damage of your next charge attack, which would take it up to 4x if we're including using a lance and Spirited Charge. To put that in perspective, if you used Shock Trooper to let you take a -20 penalty to AC using Favored Power Attack on a weapon wielded in two hands would get you 60 damage, which gets multiplied by that x4 with a lance and such to be 240. That's over half the health of a CR 20 black wyrm dragon, just from power attack. Thanks to your sizable strength mod, however, you'd get a base +15 on damage from wielding a weapon in two hands, so that goes up to 300 from just one hit, before factoring in any criticals. If you weren't wielding a lance there then the damage would only be at x3 on the charge, which would be 225.

A composite longbow is fairly standard, so good backup choice. Why scimitar? If it's just because of dervish, you can ignore it. Moningstars are fine weapons since they deal two types of damage, but if the type of damage you deal is not important then you can skip it in favor of harder-hitting martial weapons. I have no idea why you're want to use a dagger against dragons since you wouldn't get much damage at all from it.

Last edited:

Skevvix

First Post
So, I was going to be playing a Cloistered Cleric4/Crusader1/RKV in one of the side games we have going. We were all told to roll up our characters to play the following weekend. The DM said nothing about banned books, and we generally play with all sources(online, dragon/dungeon mags) so I didn't think to ask if there were any restrictions. So I show up with this guy ready to lock everything down and get told no ToB, like at all, because "it is too powerful". >.<

So, how do I make a RKV style PC without ToB?
Stats:
Human
rolled 5d6 stats(take best 3)
2 flaws
one trait
Afaik all sources other than ToB are allowed.
Going for a lockdown/trip build.

Alternatively, I was considering keeping the lockdown/trip style but go with a Psy war Dream dwarf.

Are you still intent on going lockdown, or would a different kind of play style work? I don't think clerics on their own are particularly powerful for lockdown/trip, but I suspect there are a few spells that could do the job.

Did you have any ACFs in mind? With quite a bit of help from others I've put together lists of regular book and online ACFs as well as Dragon Mag ACFs. Do any of those additional options strike your fancy?

If you still want to do tripping I know of a few ways to get Improved Trip without needing Combat Expertise, or at least needing to qualify for CE. For barbarians there's the Wolf Totem ACF from UA that gets them Improved Trip in place of Uncanny Dodge at 2nd. For monks there are the Hand and Foot or Passive Way styles that grant it as a bonus feat (H&F at 6th and PW at 2nd).

The martial monk variant in Dragon 310 page 45ish can get fighter feats as bonus monk feats. One interpretation of that is that since they're monk bonus feats and monks don't need to qualify for the feats, it allows the character to take any fighter bonus feat since no prerequisites are necessary. Most groups find that cheesy, however, so working with your DM on a balanced interpretation would likely be wise if you want to go that route.

In Dragon Mag 326 on page 97 there's an alternate ranger combat style called Piscator that gets Improved Trip at 6th. It's based on a bit of TWF with a net and a trident and goes into the combat style feat Net and Trident.

A monk and psywar build with Tashalatora might work for you, although if you go lockdown and use Combat Reflexes then remember that dream dwarfs have a penalty to dex so you won't be able to get as many AoOs, especially if you decide to make liberal use of Expansion which will lower your dex even further.

Skevvix

First Post
Are you still intent on going lockdown, or would a different kind of play style work? I don't think clerics on their own are particularly powerful for lockdown/trip, but I suspect there are a few spells that could do the job.

I'm not set on cleric. Frankly I am still pretty unfamiliar with most classes and their interactions. I have only been playing for about 2 years now and for the first year I just played the Psion's Ranger cohort. My first PC that I made myself was full of fail(PHB monk >.<). I would still like the lockdown/trip style that I was going to do with the RKV.

Did you have any ACFs in mind? With quite a bit of help from others I've put together lists of regular books and online ACFs as well as Dragon Mag ACFs. Do any of those additional options strike your fancy?

Cloistered Cleric always jumps at me, due to Know Dev, but that's only if I keep the cleric aspect. I hadn't really looked at most of the ACFs for other classes until now. Some of the Pally ones look pretty sweet, but I'm not rally familiar with the class in general.

If you still want to do tripping I know of a few ways to get Improved Trip without needing Combat Expertise, or at least needing to qualify for CE. For barbarians there's the Wolf Totem ACF from UA that gets them Improved Trip in place of Uncanny Dodge at 2nd. For monks there are the Hand and Foot or Passive Way styles that grant it as a bonus feat (H&F at 6th and PW at 2nd).

The concept I have in mind has decent spellcasting abilities, if not full casting, for self sufficiency and emergency healing. So if casting is cut from the build, there needs to be something like the crusader's strike healing in place. I suppose magic items *could* fill this, but I'd much rather it be something out of the DM's control.

The martial monk variant in Dragon 310 page 45ish can get fighter feats as bonus monk feats. One interpretation of that is that since they're monk bonus feats and monks don't need to qualify for the feats, it allows the character to take any fighter bonus feat since no prerequisites are necessary. Most groups find that cheesy, however, so working with your DM on a balanced interpretation would likely be wise if you want to go that route.

Yeah, I was looking at this to get some of the more useful ones. Now it says in the monk bonus feat that they don't have to meet the pre-reqs, does this include any/all listed, even BAB and fighter levels? Whirlwind+ Spiked Chain at level 3 would be fun. Or Weapon Supremacy at 1. :]

In Dragon Mag 326 on page 97 there's an alternate ranger combat style called Piscator that gets Improved Trip at 6th. It's based on a bit of TWF with a net and a trident and goes into the combat style feat Net and Trident.

I don't really see him as the ranger type, more of a warcamp dweller/ sellsword(chain).

A monk and psywar build with Tashalatora might work for you, although if you go lockdown and use Combat Reflexes then remember that dream dwarfs have a penalty to dex so you won't be able to get as many AoOs, especially if you decide to make liberal use of Expansion which will lower your dex even further.

I hadn't thought of that aspect. The Dwarf idea is still very much in infancy. We have a fairly large play group, and sometimes we can't all get together, so we have been starting a few side games that are just for fun, this Dwarf is for one of those. We will all be dwarves from the same city/village, that get bored with life there/want to save the town from giants. This is the game I was thinking of for the Psy War. And now after taking a few moments to look over the Master Race List, there isn't really any that give a bonus to this style. So... for the PsyWar, now I'm thinking a shield dwarf that wields.... shields! Going with a shield charger theme. Along these lines I thought of something. do the effects of Expansion and Enlarge Person stack since they are from different magic sources?

I'm not set on cleric. Frankly I am still pretty unfamiliar with most classes and their interactions. I have only been playing for about 2 years now and for the first year I just played the Psion's Ranger cohort. My first PC that I made myself was full of fail(PHB monk >.<). I would still like the lockdown/trip style that I was going to do with the RKV.

Lockdown/trip tends to be easier to do with some fighter in it to get the necessary feats. Psywar is nice in that regard since it also gets fighter feats, though not as many.

Getting used to a casters tends to be difficult, especially if you have such a large list as clerics do. Starting off as a favored soul instead of a cleric might work to get you into the hang of things but not overwhelm you if you're the type who would agonize over which spells to prepare each day.
Cloistered Cleric always jumps at me, due to Know Dev, but that's only if I keep the cleric aspect. I hadn't really looked at most of the ACFs for other classes until now. Some of the Pally ones look pretty sweet, but I'm not rally familiar with the class in general.

Paladins can take a lot to get off the ground, but they do have some very nice options. Taking the Charging Smite ACF and then going into Power Attack and Shock Trooper plus add stuff like Divine Might and the Rhino's Rush spell from Spell Compendium can lead to some nice damage. Awesome Smite can trip foes as well. One of the things I love about the Charging Smite ACF is if you miss your smite isn't wasted, which sadly isn't on the normal smite. One of the house rules I would use in my games is missing a smite doesn't expend it since that's utterly moronic in my eyes due to it having limited uses per day.

There is also the From Smite to Song feat which, if it works in your game, can have some nice synergy with the Devoted Performer feat. Making that build really work requires being comfortable with the classes and their abilities though, so it may not be for you.

Dwarves have an interesting interaction with Knowledge Devotion because they can take the Ancestral Knowledge feat. If your attacks are based on wisdom through stuff like Intuitive Attack or Zen Archery then you've got some decent synergy.
The concept I have in mind has decent spellcasting abilities, if not full casting, for self sufficiency and emergency healing. So if casting is cut from the build, there needs to be something like the crusader's strike healing in place. I suppose magic items *could* fill this, but I'd much rather it be something out of the DM's control.

Keep in mind the Cure line of spells tends to be pretty bad past level 5 or so because they just don't scale well. I've done some math on those before and found that they often have to be both empowered and maximized to be equal to damage spells of the same level. It's not until you get Heal itself that things start working well.

Yeah, I was looking at this to get some of the more useful ones. Now it says in the monk bonus feat that they don't have to meet the pre-reqs, does this include any/all listed, even BAB and fighter levels? Whirlwind+ Spiked Chain at level 3 would be fun. Or Weapon Supremacy at 1. :]

Yup, WA and WSup are two of the feats typically taken with that monk variant if it's allowed to take any fighter feat and not need prerequisites. In practice that allowance is unlikely to happen since some see it as overpowered or otherwise broken with respect to playing the game as intended or reasonable, so like I said it's probably best to work with your DM on that one.

I don't really see him as the ranger type, more of a warcamp dweller/ sellsword(chain).
Rangers have plenty of options available to them since they're pretty versatile. The versatility increases with the dragon mag ACFs since you can get some nice spells through Mystic Ranger, or you can go with the strongarm style and be a Power Attack monster by using PA then going into Favored Power Attack and Shock Trooper to do nice damage like paladins can with their Charging Smite ACF.

If you don't care for favored enemy, you can use the favored terrain variant from UA/SRD which might work better.

I hadn't thought of that aspect. The Dwarf idea is still very much in infancy. We have a fairly large play group, and sometimes we can't all get together, so we have been starting a few side games that are just for fun, this Dwarf is for one of those. We will all be dwarves from the same city/village, that get bored with life there/want to save the town from giants. This is the game I was thinking of for the Psy War. And now after taking a few moments to look over the Master Race List, there isn't really any that give a bonus to this style. So... for the PsyWar, now I'm thinking a shield dwarf that wields.... shields! Going with a shield charger theme. Along these lines I thought of something. do the effects of Expansion and Enlarge Person stack since they are from different magic sources?

Dwarves suffer from mobility problems, but if your entire party is going to be dwarves then that'll be the status quo it seems.

Optimized shield use might provide you with some ideas for using a shield, although the builds themselves probably aren't viable for you unless you can somehow take the War Hulk prestige class for the second one, which requires being large.

One of the things that might appeal to you is the ability to take knockback if you were to go with psywar if the DM lets you use expansion to fulfill the prerequisites of being large+ or having powerful build. Combining that with knockdown is pretty much the de facto way to do BFC on a mundane build. And once again, Shock Trooper makes an appearance because it's just that useful.

No, Enlarge Person and Expansion do not stack since Enlarge Person has the line that specifically says "Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack,." And I just noticed they have a typo in that because that comma shouldn't come before the period.

To keep things simple you could probably go for a psywar build and not have many problems. The Psychic Warrior Handbook might help you there.

Skevvix

First Post
Thank you for all your help Jack, it's been very helpful. The playgroup is going to sit down and go over what is/isn't allowed for source material this weekend and then submit our character plans for final approval. I'll post my final approved build for any critique next week.

Thanks again!

Remove ads