Level Up (A5E) Optimized wildshape options for Skinchanger druid?

Spuntsley

Villager
I love the changes made to Druid from 5e, especially wildshape. But now since you keep your health and have a set ac regardless then it seems like now the only purpose of the wildshape is for the damage, skills, mobility options and of course scouting. So then my question is has anyone gone through the available wildshape options and determined which ones would be the most beneficial combat-wise to Skinchanger druids?

Well I've gone through the list. but wasn't looking at optimized. That said here are a few that stood out to me (in no particular order).

Levels: 2 - 5 CR: 1 or less:
  • Giant Centipede (Poison)
  • Giant Eagle (flight and grapple)
  • Giant Toad
  • Giant Wasp (Flight and poison)
  • Giant Wolf Spider (fast, blindsight, poison, spider climb)
Levels: 6 - 8 CR: 2
  • Wallflower (plant version of the Grick)
  • Dire Centipede (fast and poison)
Levels 9 - 11 CR: 3
  • Personally I love all the choices for CR 3, but the Jackelope is a standout. Seriously. The extra saves, skills, movement, and abilities just makes it hilariously good.
Levels 12 - 14 CR: 4
  • Elephant is the only choice soooooo elephant it is
Levels 15 - 17 CR: 5
  • Triceratops (fast and good damage)
Levels 18 - 20 CR: 6
  • Shambling Mound/Sewer Walker

xiphumor

Legend
This list is a solid start, but I would note that utility options are also far more important to consider when making an A5e Druid compared to O5e because you have to pick them in advance. Let’s not forget what classic familiar-superstars like the owl or octopus can do, not to mention that sometimes you just need a horse for things. Spiders and cats can be excellent spies, depending on the circumstances.

This list is a solid start, but I would note that utility options are also far more important to consider when making an A5e Druid compared to O5e because you have to pick them in advance. Let’s not forget what classic familiar-superstars like the owl or octopus can do, not to mention that sometimes you just need a horse for things. Spiders and cats can be excellent spies, depending on the circumstances.
Absolutely

MajorSarigar

Explorer
Giant Spider is a very good CR 1 choice. You get blindsight, darkvision, a climb speed, spider climb, immunity to webs, a ranged attack that can restrain opponents, and a poison bite that can be debilitating if the target fails its save. The giant spider has fantastic mobility, and makes an exceptional scout, especially in dark or lightless environments.

Another amazing choice is Swarm of Poisonous Snakes at CR 2. Like any swarm, you get resistance to B/S/P damage, immunity to a whole suite of conditions, the Swarm ability to occupy another creature's space and move through small openings, plus blindsight, a swim speed, and a truly ruinous attack: 2d6 piercing and 4d6 poison damage. Against most lower level enemies, a swarm of poisonous snakes is all but certain death in 1-2 rounds.

xiphumor

Legend
I disagree. The wildshape rules repeatedly refer to A creature or THE creature. If we want to go RAW, swarms lack the features that simply refer to a creature instead of referring to a wildshape. Consequently, if you wildshape into a swarm, you don’t gain the swarm’s game statistics, because the rule only applies to “the creature,” singular.

The fact that the rules never refer to creatures in the plural when discussing wildshape not only reveals that not turning into swarms is RAI, but the alternative interpretation results in contradictions that make the notion RAW.

While the A5E wildshape rules don't specifically say "no swarms for you!" I'm confident that RAI swarms shouldn't be allowed. The difference in wording between changing into a singular beast or plant as opposed to a group of small beasts (are there plant swarms? Is that what Ivy is?) kind of cements my line of thinking. That said barring any developer commentary/errata do whatever makes your table happy.

Remove ads