Level Up (A5E) We need more CR 4 Beasts (and Plants)

VenerableBede

Adventurer
Sure. My point was that I was previously under the impression that we did need a new category because I mistakenly believed that elite monsters wouldn’t work.
Is that true? Correct me if I’m wrong, but Elites don’t actually change a monster’s CR, they just make it count as double when calculating an encounter’s approximate difficulty. Making Elite forms of Beasts that aren’t already CR 4 or higher doesn’t actually fit the issue.

Creating “dire” Beasts (or whatever other term you want to add to the beginning of a beast’s name) is intended to create larger and stronger creatures with higher CRs. That’s, strictly speaking, different from how Elites work since Elites are intended to keep to-hit and Save values the same for monsters of a specific CR while still creating a “boss” version of that monster, thus leaving the CR unchanged (especially for the Druid who doesn’t inherit the often-inflated HP values of Elites).

xiphumor

Legend
Is that true? Correct me if I’m wrong, but Elites don’t actually change a monster’s CR, they just make it count as double when calculating an encounter’s approximate difficulty. Making Elite forms of Beasts that aren’t already CR 4 or higher doesn’t actually fit the issue.

Creating “dire” Beasts (or whatever other term you want to add to the beginning of a beast’s name) is intended to create larger and stronger creatures with higher CRs. That’s, strictly speaking, different from how Elites work since Elites are intended to keep to-hit and Save values the same for monsters of a specific CR while still creating a “boss” version of that monster, thus leaving the CR unchanged (especially for the Druid who doesn’t inherit the often-inflated HP values of Elites).
MM pg 7:

“For magical effects and spells that rely on a creature’s Challenge Rating, such as true polymorph, treat an elite monster as if its Challenge Rating was doubled.”

But yes, I agree with the HP problem

Remove ads